Tip: Mask:SimpleShape to Adjust Another Filter

Today I am trying to improve videos taken in marginal low light with consumer-grade videocams, and so I am delving into the complex interaction of the ReduceNoise:Wavelet and the Sharpen filters.

The diferences of parameter changes can be subtle, and because both the human eye and the human memory are fickle, I am not trusting the “turn it off, turn it on” method.

Rather, I have divided the screen into sections using Mask:SimpleShape, showing the image without wavelet NR, my best tuning so far, and my current experiment, all simultaneously for comparison.

Below are the settings:

(Oops, time difference between screenshots; video image was taken with all video blinkers “On”.)

The differences between the different filter settings are subtle, so here is exaggerated brightness to show the screen divisions:

This methodology will both improve the quality of my filter adjustments and reduce the time I spend tweaking filters.

4 Likes

That’s very useful @kagsundaram. Thanks for sharing !

1 Like

I too struggle with noise reduction (and white balance and colour grading).
When I tackled upgrading my family VHS-C recordings, then the complications began. After a “fierce struggle” :smile: with one of the videos, I momentarily abandoned that task to approach it later from another, calmer perspective.
And also to be better documented.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.