Text:Rich filter not showing text when opened from file and/or pasted

What is your operating system?
Windows 10 Home

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
20.11.28 64-bit

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Edit: Deselecting Text Rich filter before Export Frame or Exporting mp4 lets the text show.

1. Open Shotcut.
  2. Open Color Clip (Open Other)
  3. Select Text:Rich filter
  4. Within Text:Rich, sub-menu File-Open (Set for .txt) , Open text document.
  5. Paste Text from Notepad

Shows white on the screen, and does not show any text in exported frame.
I can do CTRL+A then set any other color than black.
If I want black now, all I need to do is set it black, and the change happens.

tr 100 black no show.mlt (13.0 KB)
shotcut-log tr.txt (34.4 KB)

Another example. This time I use text from Shotcut’s features page.
Before pasting. Has the Vedana font selected.
shotcut_2020-12-31_01-58-43

After pasting. Takes on the MS Shell Dlg 2 font.
shotcut_2020-12-31_01-59-59

Frame export does not show text.

tr audio features no show.mlt (5.0 KB)

I believe this is the same as this post.
As I’ve tried with Paste Text Only, yes font appears white, font stays Verdana, but exported frame has no text. In this case tried changing color twice, and it still will not show in exported frame.

Also the same as this post.

This is fixed for the next version. It will use the existing text attributes or the default white 72pt if you have not changed it.

Before pasting. Has the Vedana font selected.

Unfortunately, this editor does not let you change the text attributes of something unselected at the current cursor position and then paste or start typing using those new attributes. It only lets you format by selection. Keep in mind that I did not write much of this rich text editor; it comes from a library. It does have an API and might be able to make it do that, but it is not easy, and we are not really in the word processor business. It might be improved later.

This time I use text from Shotcut’s features page. After pasting. Takes on the MS Shell Dlg 2 font.

I have not decided what to do about this one. Since you have copied HTML, it pastes as HTML. However, since it only supports a subset of HTML4 and CSS2 whereas the bulk of the web now is using HTML5 and CSS3. It is nice that some things are preserved like bullets, heading, bold, etc. but unfortunately not text color and font, perhaps due to the modern usage of CSS3. We are simply using builtin behavior here and not trying to snoop through the contents of what is pasted and touch it up. This is the main reason why Paste Text Only was added. My options are:

1. Leave it the way it is.
  2. Make Paste always do what Paste Text Only does: lose all formatting. Currently leaning towards this.
  3. Try to add code that looks at every text fragment after pasted, and changes the text color away from undefined (the current problem) and the font away from “MS Shell Dlg 2”. (Not in scope for next release).
1 Like

Thank you for the explanations. I had forgot about copy/pasting from websites also copies the HTML/CSS attributes.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.