Text:Rich filter not exporting what shows in Shotcut

Lots :sweat_smile:

The text didn’t show up at all on this one, rather than just being cut off / huge compared to what Shotcut was showing

This one only showed
"Gabirel’s
Oboe
in very large letters

Did you have Parallel Processing on in the Export menu?

@Hudson555x, same question to you.

Yes, my Parallel Processing is turned on.

Sorry, I’m not sure what that is (wait… I see the little box. What does that do?), but these are what my export settings would have been at. They would have been the same for the last video I did as well that was fine.

Okay then you and @Hudson555x are having the opposite effect I am. I tried to replicate your issue with Text: Rich typing out the same text you did on a video and it only gave me issues in the exported file when I had Parallel Processing on. At least on my end, Text: Rich doesn’t seem to agree with Parallel Processing. The text didn’t show up in one export and in another it was flickering wildly. When I turned it off the exported file had the text show up just right. I don’t know if that’s a bug.

By any chance, do you know what font you were using?

Looks like Verdana regular (varying sizes based on how much text and the room around people in the shot). I did not change it at any point, so I guess that’s the default text for it…?

Okay, so you just used the default font. Me too. I just wanted to make sure I was doing as much as I could to reproduce the issue on my end. But my issues only happen with Parallel Processing on. Whereas with @Hudson555x it works anyway and according to the image you uploaded of your export options it gives you issues with it off.

You mind trying to export it again but this time checking the Parallel Processing box to see if it gives you any different result?

Should I try just a section of it (the whole file is quite large) or will that mess up our experiment here?

p.s. I just had the “aha” moment to check and make sure it wasn’t when it was uploaded to Youtube, but the file saved to my drive still has the same issues. The tinkering continues.

Sure but if you do first make sure you export it once with the same settings you had just to make sure you get the same result then do it a second time with Parallel Processing on.

Do you know how to export only a section?

I was just going to cut out the rest and save it as a different file before exporting. Is there an easier way to export 1 section?

Yeah. Right click on the timeline away from any clips. Scroll to “Copy Timeline To Source” and click on it. It’ll first save your mlt project file or create one if you didn’t already have one for that project. Then your timeline will be reproduced in the Source tab. Then just go there and set in and out points with the I and O keys of the section you want to export. Then in the export menu make sure it has “Source” selected rather than “Timeline” where it says “From”.

@Christina just messaged me that she is blocked from posting for the rest of the day because of the first day limit that’s put on the amount of posts that new users can make. This is what she sent me regarding her experiment:

No difference from what was exported previously. Shotcut preview looked great, both export without parallel processing and with parallel processing showed the giant text cut off after a few words

I reproduced this bug. It is due to running a High DPI desktop (Windows Settings > Display > Scale and Layout > 100%). This makes the text component in the VUI (on-screen editor) a higher density than the exporter.
Until this is fixed, you can of course use Text: Simple, or I found a workaround that worked for me by forcing Windows to run Shotcut not in high density mode. Shotcut will not look as pretty, but I hope the workaround works for you too. Open the properties of the shotcut.exe in Windows Explorer

In the Compatibility tab, click Change high DPI settings

Then, click the checkbox to Override to turn it on and make sure System is selected.
Finally, click OK twice to close these dialogs. Of course, if Shotcut was running you will need to restart it for these changes to apply. Also, you will need to adjust the font size in your rich text filters since they will look larger like your previous exports did.

2 Likes

@DRM Thank you for posting this, and thank you for all your instruction!

@shotcut Thank you for looking into this! I think I will stick with Text: Simple for now to keep the quality high for the viewers.

Let me clarify that when I wrote “It will not look as pretty” I was referring to the Shotcut UI. What I suggested as a workaround does not affect the export quality.

I also found today this problem only affects Windows and not macOS or Linux.

Gotcha! Thanks for the clarification. Perhaps I will look into that and play around with it a bit then. I do like the multitude of options for text that Text: Rich gives over Text: Simple.

Thanks!

This is fixed for the next version.

Wonderful! Thank you for all the hard work you put into this program! It really is impressive and very helpful.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.