Text: Rich Clashes With Size, Position & Rotate's Zoom

The zoom parameter in the Size, Position & Rotate filter does not work when it’s added it after Text: Rich. Instead of zooming in it veers off to the upper left. Demo.

What are your settings in Text:Rich?

No settings. I just typed the text, centered it and used the Size, Position & Rotate filter. What version number are you using? I just tested it on the latest version that came out: v20.10.30. 2nd demo.

I’m using 20.10.18
No idea how to get the version you’re using.
I don’t see it in Downloads yet.
When I click “Upgrade…” I get the I’m running the latest version.
I’ll have to wait until the version you have is released.

It’s at their github page. They mentioned it in the beta thread:

This bug I am reporting on is a regression because as you showed this didn’t happen in the last released version but it’s happening now. Hopefully @shotcut will decide to correct it before the official release.

There was a second beta 20.10.24 announced in the beta thread and the link in the thread’s original post updated.

This problem appeared in that version to fix very poor quality when using higher res digital photos in common video resolutions 720 and 1080 along with the Size & Position filter. This problem was reported in at least 3 places over the past several months.

So, I made a compromise. I reverted the change when the source clip is a color clip since it cannot benefit from this better interpolation. Photos and videos still get the image interpolation fix but with this undesired behavior, which is probably OK for now. I think people wanting to do animation with rich text will use a transparent color clip to isolate their effect.

P.S. I made this unlisted because it is not about a release version and belongs in the beta thread. The beta is considered a period of time and not only what is posted. The posted beta download is for convenience to attract more testing. For example, nightly macOS builds are not fully signed and notarized. I appreciate @DRM’s help testing new nightly builds during this period.

I made a separate thread on this because when I posted about some other bugs after you posted second beta you said to me:

I didn’t know where this bug stood. It wasn’t critical in the sense that it caused a crash but at the same time it was a regression as it limited the functionality that was available before. So I made a separate thread. With you saying this should’ve been in the beta thread after you said you only wanted critical bug issues after the second beta posting, this is confusing.

Also, for clarification, I suppose you mean that this odd behavior now with Text: Rich and Size, Position is on purpose? It’s either this or having to deal with the interpolation problem? There’s no way to have both?

You’re welcome, Dan.
Does this thread have to stay unlisted though? :slightly_smiling_face: If this is the intended behavior of these filters from now on, people should know.

I agree. Um. I suppose it could go in the beta thread with an opening like “This might not be critical but I found a regression…”

suppose you mean that this odd behavior now with Text: Rich and Size, Position is on purpose? It’s either this or having to deal with the interpolation problem? There’s no way to have both?

No, I meant that I fixed the regression for Rich Text on color clips only because the fix that caused the regression has no benefit to solid color.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.