Text:Rich: input rectangle invisible, no way to enter text

What is your operating system?

openSUSE Leap 15.3, flatpak

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
22.12.21 flatpak, KDE application platform 5.15-21.08. 64bit.

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?

The problem is 100% reproducable.

Here is my simple MLT file:
test.mlt (8.2 KB)

Screen shot with Text:rich filter selected:

You can see that although the play head is in the selected region, no text rectangle is visible.

The pink text background becomes visible as soon as I select a different filter in the filter list:

It is possible to type blindly into the invisible rectangle (if text:rich is selected), and the text will become visible when the other filter is selected. Text formatting is obviously not possible with no visible controls.

Shotcut log file:
shotcut-log.txt (36.2 KB)

Your test.mlt file works fine on my computer. (Windows 10, Shotcut 22.12.21)

Did you try after rebooting your computer? Sometimes that fixes things.
If not maybe uninstall/reinstall Shotcut?

First I thought that too, but after rebooting and reinstalling Shotcut, it’s still the same.

Have you downloaded Shotcut from the official download website: Shotcut - Download

See here for a similar problem that was fixed:

If you are using the Flatpak we make and provide via Flathub, it is working for me:

I guess if it is not working for you, it could be a number of things mostly outside of our control such as an OpenGL compatibility problem between Qt and your driver.

I have the same issue as @piundpa, also with the Flatpak under openSUSE.

See here for a similar problem that was fixed: […]

I can confirm that for me the issue doesn’t occur with the appimage, only in the flatpak build. But the flatpak is “official”, too, right?

I noted that the org.shotcut.Shotcut flatpak uses org.kde.Platform 5.15-21.08 by default, and tried the latest KDE runtime 5.15-22.08. That doesn’t fix the issue, but adds some psychedelic color effects:

I guess if it is not working for you, it could be a number of things mostly outside of our control such as an OpenGL compatibility problem between Qt and your driver.

So — what else can we do to track it down? AFAIK the flatpak carries all libraries that it needs, so the issue would be in the X server, or somewhere between the X server and the application?

To add some more data points:

• the issue occurs not only with X but also in gnome/wayland session
  • the issue occurs also on openSUSE Tumbleweed, which (unlike openSUSE Leap) has the latest libraries, kernel, and Mesa.

On my tumbleweed system, I happened to still have the shotcut 22.04 flatpak installed, on which the Text:rich filter looked OK (issue not seen). After updating to 22.12.21, the issue was back.

Thinking about it, these are also equal between flatpak and appimage. What else can it be? @shotcut, what distro / environment are you using?

Does it make sense to report this at org.kde.Platform ?

@shotcut: (the forum won’t let me write another reply, so I have to do it here)

I am not sure what to do about it as I am not up to installing openSUSE

Of course. I am just trying to understand the difference between appimage and flatpak on the one hand, and flatpak on Pop! OS vs. openSUSE on the other.

Update 230130: I observe the same problem on a freshly installed Ubuntu 22.04 system with the 22.12.21 flatpak package, but not with the 22.12.21 snap package. So it doesn’t seem to be just an openSUSE issue.

Additional update: I see it on Ubuntu 22.10, too. Again, with the flatpak only, the snap works allright (but obviously, the snap comes with a very different runtime, the color chooser looks totally different for a start).
Screenshot from flatpak:

What difference exists between Pop! OS and Ubuntu that would explain while the flatpak works on one but not on the other?

I am using Pop!_OS 22.04 with the default GNOME3 desktop. I am not sure what to do about it as I am not up to installing openSUSE or even that knowledgeable about flatpak internals.

Here you can see we last upgraded the kde runtime in version 22.04:

Maybe something changed in that version of the runtime since then.

Same happens to me. Until few days ago using Linux Mint 19 I couldn’t see grids. Now I instaled Linux Mint 21, and have Shotcut 22.12.21 and I don’t see the grids, and Rich Text rectangle as well. On the older versions of Shotcut all worked well.

There is nothing changed in recent versions of Shotcut that would make the difference. Download an older version via AppImage and check it. You have not said what kind of build/package you are using. On the other hand, going from Mint 19 to 21 is a huge change.

As I said, the last version of Shotcut that I used under Mint 19 had that problem with grid. Same happens with 21, Not using the ‘Rich Text’ filter then, just a grid option.

I tried to install older version of Shotcut i.e. 21 and compare it to Shotcut 22.

And here is the 22 Version

I cannot do anything about this. It is a problem between Qt and OpenGL on your systems. We do not write the OpenGL code. We write something very high level, and Qt and your GPU driver do the rest. You can try to use Settings > Display Method > Software, but that does not work on proprietary drivers such as nvidia. This situation can change depending on Qt version but also driver version, Wayland, and possibly something in the portable binary. There might be a port to use Vulkan this year, which is only likely to exchange one set of problems for another, which always seems to be the case for tech, especially on Linux desktop. I will not be responding to this issue any further in the meantime.

Fun part is about variety of distros/software involved: opensuse of different kind, ubuntu, mint, and now my archlinux too. Shotcut from repos, everything is up to date, Shotcut v22.12.21

I don’t have input rectangle on simple text too, but at least I can drag it with mouse.
For rich text, it’s invisible but I can enter it and after I choose another filter - I can see rich text. Can’t drag it with mouse tho.

I tried setting Settings > Display Method > Software to “Mesa”, but with no effect, problem remains.

Summarizing the findings so far:

• happens with recent flatpak packages on various distributions, including Ubuntu 22.04, Ubuntu 22.10, openSUSE Leap 15.3, 15.4, and openSUSE Tumbleweed, and Mint 21 (well, @giorgiog didn’t clearly say whether he was using the flatpak or a distro package).
  • does not happen for @shotcut on Pop! OS 22.04. As this should be very similar to Ubuntu 22.04, perhaps that might give us a clue?
  • does not happen with AppImage
  • does not happen with snap image on Ubuntu 22.04 and 22.10

We write something very high level, and Qt and your GPU driver do the rest.

I understand. But the shotcut flatpak images includes Qt, so maybe you could give us a hint where to look closer? What high-level functionality is failing here?

The different package formats (flatpak/appimage/snap) differ in the way shared libraries are selected and packaged. Most probably we should be looking in that direction. But I have little experience with either format. Hints where to look would be appreciated. I can use the AppImage for the time being, but I wouldn’t consider this a real solution to the issue.

Hi there,
I instaled Shotcut 21 on Linux Mint 21 via Software manager and had a problem. Now I uninstalled Shotcut, and used direct Download Shotcut download latest version and everything works fine. Thanks for the hint in your question: ‘did I installed via flatpak or distro package.’ :slight_smile:

See

This should no longer be a problem after the next release based on Qt 6.

[quote=“shotcut, post:15, topic:37510, full:true”]
I cannot do anything about this. It is a problem between Qt and OpenGL on your systems. We do not write the OpenGL code. We write something very high level, and Qt and your GPU driver do the rest. You can try to use Settings > Display Method > Software, but that does not work on proprietary drivers such as nvidia.[/quote]

My machine is Intel CPU with AMD GPU, using the amdgpu driver in the stock kernel of Fedora 36 workstation. I tried the Display Method > Software and restarted shotcut, but the same problem still persists.

1 Like