Systemd-coredump slows shotcut down up to crashing

What is your operating system?
CPU: dual core Intel Celeron N2840 (-MCP-) speed/min/max: 970/500/2582 MHz Kernel: 5.16.11-arch1-1 x86_64 Up: 2d 21h 57m Mem: 2879.3/7835.0 MiB (36.7%) Storage: 757.23 GiB (36.3% used) Procs: 179 Shell: fish inxi: 3.3.13
Endeavouros, last verison
What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
shotcut-linux-x86_64-211224.AppImage

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
I open a project (small-medium sized) project and it gets impossible to use, then crash, sometimes. system-coredump eats all processor ressources and I get no info, no log, nothing, but it’s clearly related to shotcut.

I want to point out that is a very low power CPU. I measure my computer’s multi R15 to see if it’s good enough to edit video. Processors seem to scale with that metric and Shotcut. n2840 is a processor that will struggle with running a modern browser.

It’s R15 multi is 89 which is very slow. For instance I generally try and edit 1080p with minimal filters with processors between 500 and 600 R15 multi. So 8x more powerful than n2840. Hope this helps

then Kdenlive has much less requirements, as it doesn’t lag anywhere as much (though it crashes and gets corrupted, but it is very reactive still).
if true, that sucks !

How does the coredump thing work though ? Is it a feature or a bug ?

The coredump is not a feature, nor a bug in Shotcut. A core dump is a file that gets automatically generated by the Linux kernel after a program crashes. This file contains the memory, register values, and the call stack of an application at the point of crashing. It is generally used by software engineers when developing a program.

You can always disable coredumps. Just Google “linux disable coredumps”, though this won’t help to fix your initial problem that is causing the coredump in the first place.

1 Like

Don’t blame shotcut for not running on a toaster :grinning: :upside_down_face:

Video editing is CPU intensive, so you need some good hardware to handle it.

coredump is a linux distribution thing that run when something crash and send a SIGTERM signal, different distributions has different setups for how coredumps is handled.

but most of the time processor occupation isn’t 100%, and I can watch videos while shotcut is open, without lagging. While rendering, which does take all resources without fault, doesn’t cause a crash.
what if the issue here was not a lack of resource per se, but a mismanagement ?
Wouldn’t a toaster be too slow or unusable at all times, or actually make us of every resource available before crashing all of a sudden ?