SubRip (.srt) Subtitle Generator

On this part I can’t get this … so this is what I understand … how to do you speed it up?

1. click file open (select video)
  2. click waveform button (it prompts to select video again … so I select same video)
  3. click play

How to get it run faster to get complete wave form? do i press the high speed >>>>> button?

The software that generates the waveform does so in the background. this process is totally separate from the video display. It doesn’t stop the app from working while it does this and you can carry on playing the video and adding/modifying subtitles while it does this processing. There really isn’t anything you can do to speed up the process.

The waveform can only be displayed once the whole audio track of the movie has been read and processed. After that happens the waveform position syncs to the video’s position and they are in lockstep from then on.

Having said all that, there is a plugin called PeakCache, that allows partial rendering of the waveform. I will look into this to see if I can speed up the render for large audio tracks, but it may take a day or two. Maybe this will will be version 3.

P.S. the ‘>>>>>’ button is a ‘seek 30 seconds ahead and pause’ button. The ‘5.0’ button is a ‘speed up the video 5x’ button.

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.
In short when I click waveform and open a video, it will process at the background.

It is independent to other buttons and editing stuff I do with this tool.
Clear now.

Hello @Elusien thanks for another fantastic gadget! However, I’m unable to import the video. Getting the error message below

“No video with supported format and MIME type found”

Tried with Firefox, Chrome, and Edge browsers. Cleared cache, history, checked for updates, restarted browser but no joy. Am I missing something?

Video .mp4 created in Shotcut, is opening on VLC and YouTube. Running Windows 10 with latest updates. Anything that I am missing or need to do? Thanks

Been out of wireless range for a day. Could you please download mediainfo from here: https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download Then open your video in it and view->text, then post the output here.

The generator has worked OK with the 5 or 6 videos I have used, so would like to see what is different about yours.

Is your file (video.mp4) in the same folder/directory as the srt_generator.html? If not could you copy it to that folder/directory and try again, letting me know if that works.

I have just looked at the code and because itis Javascript it can only obtain the filename, not the directory/folder that the file is in.

Thanks for the response. Here’s the output from MediaInfo

General
Complete name : D:\user\Pictures\2020\hampi\badami\badami_finalcut3.mp4
Format : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size : 232 MiB
Duration : 6 min 42 s
Overall bit rate : 4 836 kb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.29.100

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4
Format settings : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames : 4 frames
Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Bit rate : 4 446 kb/s
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.086
Stream size : 214 MiB (92%)
Writing library : x264 core 159 r2999 296494a
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=2 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=18 / lookahead_threads=3 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=1 / keyint=125 / keyint_min=12 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=30 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=23.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Color range : Limited
Transfer characteristics : BT.709
Matrix coefficients : BT.709
Codec configuration box : avcC

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 384 kb/s
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 18.5 MiB (8%)
Default : Yes
Alternate group : 1

That worked like a charm! Placing the generator in the same directory as the video was all it took. Thanks a ton.

I will modify my webpage to invlude this restiction. As I said it is a restriction of Javascript that will not let you get the whole pathname, only the last portion (filename). There is a possible way round it, but that has caused problems for people in the past and I am loathe to go down that route.

Anyway, I’m glad you can now use the SubRip generator with this restriction.

Thanks for your generosity. It’s a beautiful piece of work. Sorry for the late response, internet bowed down yesterday to Cyclone Nisarga. Here’s my first attempt with subtitles.

Video of Badami Cave Temples using Elusien’s SubRip Generator

Brilliant. A very well done video with some interesting effects applied. The subject matter was also very interesting. I’m glad you managed to get the subtitles downloaded to YouTube. It took me a moment or two to click on the subtitle icon under the video. Having used my SubRip subtitling app do you have any suggestions as to improvements you’d like to see. Maybe an option to set the Words per Second to something othe than 3 perhaps?

Thank you! I found it very easy to use right away. 3 Words per Second is fine. Maybe you could put in tooltips for the various buttons. Initially I needed to look up the Help manual but could not access due to network issues. Also, when I tried to open import a .srt file without first loading a video nothing happens, so maybe an error message for that. But these are all minor things!

This is the first video I saw using YouTube 's new chapter marks on the scrub bar based on the timecode list in the description! Very cool.

Thank you. Youtube ‘suggested’ it while I was editing the subtitles. Shows what happens when you try out cool stuff :smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.