Size of mov file on export

I am new to Shotcut. I have been attempting some editing of some home movies that were recently digitized by a local company. I brought the information about the video file up on the player - in this case’

Video: DVC 720x480 (109:80) 29.97fps 28771kbps [V: Apple Alias Data Handler [eng] (dvvideo, yuv411p, 720x480, 28771 kb/s)]
Audio: PCM 48000Hz stereo 1536kbps [A: Apple Alias Data Handler [eng] (pcm_s16le, 48000 Hz, stereo, s16, 1536 kb/s)]

I would like to edit the video and save it with a little loss as possible.
I started by importing the video file - size: 26.7 gigs - 2 hours in length. I chose the only export setting that would give me a mov file - quicktime - and exported. It took a long time, and produced a file around 256 gigs.

I wonder how I might best get to the quality and size of the original file.

Thank you.

Forget about QuickTime and .mov and use the defaults (mp4) before trying anything else! The only .mov preset we provide has a special purpose (lossless with alpha channel). You should also consider using one of the DV presets (under camcorder section) since your source is DV.

OK. Thanks for that. I was simply told by the folks that converted my video that the mov file was not compressed - to use that for editing - and to use the mp4 files for viewing (they provided both). My concern in any format is that the video will be sliced up differently after saving (than the original), degrading the quality. If there is a way / format / technique / something to do or watch for that will keep the original quality while still being able to edit and save to a new file?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.