Shotcut Suddenly Crashing, especially when importing videos

What is your operating system?
Windows

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎17/‎01/‎2022
OS build 22000.978
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22000.978.0

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
When starting a new project, I drag videos to the timeline. It’s started crashing and closing suddenly during this process. Sometimes it freezes as the video is dragged, resulting in a greyed out patch on the timeline; sometimes it starts converting videos (I always get that pop up about frame rates and choose to convert to best frame rate) or making a proxy and crashes and suddenly closes during this.

When I first got this bug back in July, I uninstalled and reinstalled Shotcut direct from their site. It’s made making videos very tedious. If I very slowly add videos one by one and save constantly, sometimes it’s okay. The last video I worked on, it was crashing and closing during simple video editing too- I’m literally talking cutting down videos, that level of editing.

Shotcut was working fine for months before this. I have no idea why it’s suddenly started doing this.

Have you rebooted your computer lately? Sometimes a reboot can clear up strange problems.

There is a new version that was recently released. Consider trying that one: Shotcut - Download

1 Like

I had this happen a couple of months ago when my hard drive was full and I was trying to drag videos in from OneDrive. OneDrive caches to the OS drive (C:\ in most cases), and when that drive is full, things start crashing. After I made room on my main drive, the problem went away.