Shotcut sometimes crashes when opening mlt project, second opening is successfull

What is your operating system?
ubuntu 18.04

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Shotcut sometimes crashes when opening mlt project (shotcut was run previously, I click on open menu), second opening of the same project is successfull. it happens from time to time but it’s quite irritating (enough frequently to be irritating :stuck_out_tongue: )

Between the log which might says something:

[Info   ] <Util::isMemoryLow> available RAM =  8215120 KB 
[Info   ] <Util::isMemoryLow> available RAM =  8198704 KB 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::openVideo> QFlags<QFileDialog::Option>() 
[Info   ] <Util::isMemoryLow> available RAM =  8171820 KB 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::open> "/media/piotr/DANE/YOUTUBE/source.2021.08.14_naprawa_telefon_narcyz/2021.08.14_naprawa_telefon_narcyzN_NCH.mlt" 
[Info   ] <MainWindow::showStatusMessage> "Opening /media/piotr/DANE/YOUTUBE/source.2021.08.14_naprawa_telefon_narcyz/2021.08.14_naprawa_telefon_narcyzN_NCH.mlt" 
[Debug  ] <MltXmlChecker::check> begin 
[Debug  ] <MltXmlChecker::check> QVector("Shotcut", "version", "22.01.30") 
[Info   ] <MltXmlChecker::check> decimal point '.' 
[Debug  ] <MltXmlChecker::check> "/media/piotr/DANE/YOUTUBE/source.2021.08.14_naprawa_telefon_narcyz/shotcut-pdCzfj.mlt" 
[Debug  ] <MltXmlChecker::check> end "" 
[Info   ] <MainWindow::open> decimal point '.' 
[Debug  ] <MLT> [producer avformat] audio: total_streams 1 max_stream 1 total_channels 2 max_channels 2
[Debug  ] <MLT> [producer avformat] audio: total_streams 1 max_stream 1 total_channels 2 max_channels 2
[Debug  ] <Mlt::Controller::setPreviewScale> 1920 x 1080 
[Debug  ] <Mlt::Controller::setProjectFolder> project folder "" 
[Debug  ] <MainWindow::setAudioChannels> 2 
[Debug  ] <Mlt::Controller::setAudioChannels> 2 
[Debug  ] <Player::setIn> in -1 out -1 
[Debug  ] <Player::setOut> in -1 out -1 

(btw, what about considering adding timestamp to log? it would make easier the life of people who doesn’t know shotcut too much what to copy/paste when reporting bug)

not happening to me

It is always the same project? Or does it happen to many different project files? Maybe there is something specific in your log file that is causing the crash.

Unfortunately, I do not see any clues in those log messages

It is best to upload the entire log file as an attachment (rather than copy/paste text). After a crash, you can not get the log by opening Shotcut because that will cause the log file to be overwritten.

Yes, it was part of the log copied directly from txt file (and not after re-run of shotcut). But still I believe timestamp could help here.

Getting to the error itself, it’s a bit strange that it’s not repeatable. The only thing which might be related is that it has never crashed when opening the first project after run. It’s always second, third, fourth etc. project. However there is no simple pattern. So it’s NOT like that that opening always the same project for the second time causes crash. Sometimes it happens but it’s not the rule. It’s a bit surprising that it seems not to be deterministic. Perhaps some editing operation causes that some “trash” is left after closing the project and then opening the second project is crashed. However I wasn’t able to determine which editing operation.

Getting to the conclusion, If it crashes once again when opening, I will add here the full log.

shotcut-log_crash_when_opening_project.txt (43.2 KB)

Ok. One more crash. And full log file.

Unfortunately, the full log does not reveal any new clues.

Another suggestion: try to disable as many panels and scopes in Shotcut as you can. Perhaps one of the panels is causing the crash. If you are able to narrow down to one particular panel or scope that causes the crash, we might be able to draw closer to the cause.

It seems to be a very good suggestion (at least initially). I did some testing and it looks that either Audio Waveform either Audio Spectrum panels have sometimes some kind of problem with initialization when opening the project for the second, third etc. time. I have to make some more testing which of these two panels is guilty. :stuck_out_tongue: I will return later with more info.

1 Like