Shotcut.exe location for Mac and Linux

Search on “Mac Shotcut.exe” and “Linux Shotcut.exe” did not answer my concern.

To include Mac and Linux students, I am converting a video course I wrote that used another windows-only video editor to use Shotcut. The installer did not create a shortcut on my windows 10 desktop. So I assume the same holds for the Mac and Linux downloads. I know how to instruct my students on creating a desktop shortcut to Shotcut.exe on windows, but have no idea how to help Mac and Linux users how to find the Shotcut executable.

What method should I suggest given I, obviously, know nothing about either system.
Shotcut Version number: 19.12.31
Video Mode: Automatic
Display Method: DirectX Angle
Windows 10 version 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Processor: Intel® Core™ i3-7130U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2700 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Total Physical Memory: 7.87 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.78 GB

If you use the portable version it will always be in the folder that was extracted.

As far as the shortcut/location for the installed version there’s a checkbox if I’m not mistaken for it during the installation and you also have the option to choose where it’s installed to.

There is a program shortcut in the Applications on Ubuntu.
To add to favorites, just right click.
Different versions of Linux and different desktops will all look different.
VirtualBoxVM_2020-01-23_21-31-22

For Windows, the installer puts the app icon in the start menu only. Use the start menu or search and it comes up.

For MacOS, it depend on where you drag the app out of the DMG but usually it is /Applications in Finder. The executable is then /Applications/Shotcut.app/Contents/MacOS/shotcut per the app nimble standard.

For Linux, it depends very much on which app package you used and the distribution.

I added this to the documentation:

@D_S Thank you So I missed the checkboxes on the install. That was pretty clumsy of me. Maybe I’ll take the chance to uninstall / reinstall. It would certainly make a better screencast than the one I made. (I’m reluctant to attempt a Shotcut re-install as I had file protection issues with the re-install of the VSDC editor awhile ago. Even as Administrator, that required a 20-step process to repair.)
Thanks for pointing out my oversight.

May I have your permission to add your “Launching Shotcut” article as an addendum to my lecture? If so, what attribution would you prefer?

Yes. You can include a link to the page.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.