Shotcut Crashes. MY PC IS NOT THE PROBLEM

Well it did crash, but I’m just assuming that I just left it running in the background too long and it just got stupid. While I forgot about it, I updated my graphics card driver and went to other websites and that is what I am assuming crashed it when I put that log out for you

So technically it’s a crash file too, but it was just forgotten and crashed right after that. I even went back to the log and checked to see if it changed after the program closed, and it’s the same log

So todays problem is Shotcut slowing down and eating up Disk Space… and Idk why… here’s the log file: https://pastebin.com/nRTGnU4D

So… this most recent log file was not related to a crash? Was Shotcut still open at the time that you copied the log file? (I would have expected to see something different if you had closed Shotcut and then read the log file.)

The one i posted most recently, it was slowing down and it was open when I posted it.

The one I posted before that did crash after maybe hours of being open and at the same time of downloading a graphics card driver.

Hope that clarifies

I even removed all special characters from any of the files I was choosing to edit, and I haven’t experienced a crash yet. But I am sure it will happen again since I’m editing a much bigger file this time around.

I’ve been using shotcut for a little while now, and I’m no expert at all. When you say it crashes, what exactly happens? Does an error screen come up? If so perhaps you could take a screen shot of that. Looks like there is a lot of people trying to figure this out.

I’m a novice with this like you, but I’m trying to understand why would you run software on a HDD vs an SSD. It appears you have plenty of storage on your SSD for processing all of your work. Depending if you have it set for the drives to spin down (sleep settings) when not in use. In my experience if you are also running an anti-virus software there is a huge delay in access time when that drive spins back up. These sleep settings are for when you are running your computer but not needing to use the drive, like when watching a movie or playing a game that doesn’t use the hard drive.

Here is a screen capture of what I prefer the setting to be at for my HDD to turn off.
Power HDD

On a Seagate BarraCuda 4TB (ST4000DM00) the time it takes to spin up from a power down is 8 to 10 seconds.
Seagate 4TB HDD Maximum transfer rate: 190MB/s
Samsung Evo SSD 1TB Sequential Read/Write speeds: 540MB/s 520MB/s

I’m seeing “VFR” in reference to the gameplay video. (EDIT: It looks like “Checking VFR” always shows up in log files. So this wasn’t actually significant. However the following is still applicable: )

Are your gameplay videos Variable FrameRate? If so, that might be causing some issues, and you might want to try converting the existing files to CFR (constant framerate) and screencapping in CFR from now on.

I will try uninstalling and reinstalling to my SSD tomorrow after work and see if that changes anything

@john_solo - will that effect my videos when I export them?

And a quick question also, for my last 5 videos, my exported finished videos are coming out to a 23+gb file size, is there any way to lower that? It was never this high before (or should I make this a new topic? Because I really don’t wanna have to keep track of 2 topics when this one’s not solved)

As I understand it, variable frame rates are used to lower the frame rate when nothing is changing on the screen, to help keep files small. So I assume that when a variable frame rate video is successfully converted to a constant frame rate, no one will notice – it’ll just fill in the “missing” frames with copies of adjacent frames – and the exported file will be the same. Based on what I’ve read on this site, Shotcut doesn’t like VFR files, so IF your source files are VFR you’ll want to convert them first and Shotcut will work better. (Screencapping CFR will result in the same or better exported quality; the screencap file sizes – not the final export – will probably be larger.)
According to Variable Frame-Rate video clips import with choppy video - #8 by EnzoD you can tell if you have a VFR file if the framerate shows up as 1000.

Your export settings question does seem to go beyond the scope of this “Bug” topic.

If you want expert advice, probably best to start a new topic with as much information as you can provide in terms of what you’re starting with (gameplay & facecam formats, fps, resolutions) and what you’re doing with it (youtube gameplay videos).

This guy, who is not an expert at all, will cheat and say that from what he’s overheard, it sounds like H.264, 2160p, 60fps, 85Mbps, GOP 30, B frames 2, preset=slower, profile=high might be the way you want to go. Start a new topic if you have questions.

(“overheard” at YouTube recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help , Suggestions for Smaller Filesize Without Losing Quality? - #5 by nwgat , and Output file size - what am I doing wrong? - #17 by Steve_Ledger )

(Just to reiterate: YouTube recommended upload encoding settings - YouTube Help is required reading if you want to talk about exporting to YouTube.)

I already visited that page on YouTube… It doesn’t really help with file size, but I guess I’ll try and make another topic later if I still can’t find a solution.

Oh btw, Shotcut was replaced by Vegas Pro 15, so you can lock this thread or whatever, DESTROY IT. No problems anymore. Thank you for trying.

Cool, replaced a free Open Source NLE with a A$799 one, good move if you can afford it. :slight_smile: