Same Overlay HTML between clips

Hi,

I was trying to use the Overlay HTML to put text in two side-by-side clips but I want the text to be shown between the last half of the first clip and the first half of the second clip. This way the text is shown between clips and I don’t have to cut the clips and add the Overlay HTML in both half parts.

For that I used a generated clip (Open Other -> Generator -> Color) with the time I wanted without any color, so it’s transparent when used in a composite track and added it to the playlist, then to the timeline. Then I tryed to use the Overlay HTML to put the text but Shotcut crashed.

Is my method wrong or this is something that should work but crashes because it’s a bug?

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

No crashes for me on OSX. The method you’re using should work, not sure why you’d be getting crashes. The Overlay HTML filter isn’t available on Windows so I assume you’re using Linux. What OS are you using?

One workaround since you’re only using text is just to use the text filter, but since you are crashing that is a problem.

Hi,

I’m using the latest Windows version and applied the fix described here https://forum.shotcut.org/t/html-overlay-filter-is-missing/159 to get the Overlay HTML back. In all previous versions it was present.

I also tested with the more simple Text filter with this method and it worked ok, so I think it can be some bug in the Windows version of Shotcut.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

Oh, alright. I’m sorry about the mistake. :sweat:

I’ve re-done it with that fix but there is still no crashing, sorry.

Hi,

To help you reproduce the problem I uploaded the necessary files to here: https://meocloud.pt/link/e65e3ab5-c518-476a-bfff-db8ccfdc480e/overlay_test/. Please use them and check if you have the same problem I have. Thank you.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

Hi,

Strangely after a few reinstalls Shotcut didn’t crash but didn’t do what I wanted either. Here is a video showing what I did and what happens. Note that I turned Composite off in the Track 2 when the letters in the black background are shown:

Now another video this time with the Text filter. We can see that the letters are shown with Composite on in Track 2 and with a transparent background. This is what I wanted to do but with the Overlay HTML:

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

1 Like

Glad it’s not crashing anymore. :smile: And your new problem is because the overlay HTML filter doesn’t act as a separate “layer”, like the text filter does.

If you want the effect of the HTML text over the lower video track, try adding a filter called “Chroma Key”, you can just use the simple one for this. Eyedrop the key color for the filter to whatever background your HTML is in and adjust the distance parameter as you see fit. That should give it the effect you’re looking for.

Hi,

Shotcut crashed again after other tries but no worries, it has a good recovery capability after the crashes. :slight_smile:

Just tested your suggestion with the Chroma Key and like magic it worked as I wanted. Thank you for your support.

Regards,
Luis Sismeiro

Alright, glad that it helped. :slight_smile: