Rendering causes CPU to hit 85-90 Celcius

Windows 10

Shotcut 22.04.25

It happens every time I render. Higher quality codecs will increase temps further. My CPU (Intel 10900K) will reach insane temps of 85-90+ Celcius while rendering, with liquid cooling. Obviously this is untenable and rendering for extended periods of time risks damaging my hardware.

What gives? How to limit this? Even Prime95 doesn’t cause these sorts of temperatures. What’s up with that?

805-90C is generally fine for an Intel CPU. Intel CPUs have thermal throttling built in. They will not let themselves get hot enough to be damaged.

1 Like

To limit CPU usage in export you can turn of parallel processing and reduce codec threads in Export > Advanced.

1 Like

I am not familiar with Intel CPUs but my opinion is that over 75 °C is too much. How much is your ambient temperature?

If ambient temperature is 30 °C, I imagine it would easily exceed 75 °C when all cores are used.

You would have to make sure that the waterblock has a good contact with the CPU. Does the water block have a good thermal conductor grease applied or equivalent?

Another option would be to configure the water cooler’s fan to spin at maximum when the temperature exceeds a certain point.

Good air flow in the case is important.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz. When I run Cinebench R15, using all cores, doing a CPU test, the temp rises to 77 °C. I have a heat pipe cooler. One of those Noctua models. Noctua NH-U14S

Ambient is 22 °C.

I don’t have 1 h video to edit in Shotcut and also, I think it uses the GPU for encoding, so most of the cores remain unused.

OP’s CPU is listed here with a maximum temperature of 100C

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/199332/intel-core-i910900k-processor-20m-cache-up-to-5-30-ghz.html

Additionally, the device has thermal monitoring technology:

Thermal Monitoring Technologies protect the processor package and the system from thermal failure through several thermal management features. An on-die Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) detects the core’s temperature, and the thermal management features reduce package power consumption and thereby temperature when required in order to remain within normal operating limits.

The device will actually not allow itself to be damaged due to heat.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 89 days. New replies are no longer allowed.