Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT

What am I doing wrong :cry:, or what can I do to fix this error when I try to do the ‘make -j8’? My goal is to just first learn to compile the source code for Shotcut to make a working (executable) shotcut.

beowulf@mx-linux:~/Downloads/shotcut-master
$ qmake PREFIX=/usr/local/
$ make -j8
cd CuteLogger/ && ( test -e Makefile || /usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake -o Makefile /home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/CuteLogger/CuteLogger.pro PREFIX=/usr/local/ ) && make -f Makefile 
cd translations/ && ( test -e Makefile || /usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake -o Makefile /home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/translations/translations.pro PREFIX=/usr/local/ ) && make -f Makefile 
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/CuteLogger'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'first'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/CuteLogger'
cd src/ && ( test -e Makefile || /usr/lib/qt5/bin/qmake -o Makefile /home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/src/src.pro PREFIX=/usr/local/ ) && make -f Makefile 
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/translations'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/beowulf/Downloads/shotcut-master/translations'
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: opengl qml quick multimedia websockets quickwidgets quickcontrols2 qml-private quick-private x11extras
make: *** [Makefile:72: sub-src-make_first] Error 3
$

Okay I think I get that I need to somehow install those missing modules/libraries, going to be challenging.

I’m going to agree with @shotcut and recommend that you follow the conversation here:

In my opinion, the build script is the best way to get going. And there will be some challenges. So prepare your self for some exploration.

Also, I do not think that it helps to keep making new threads on this forum. Consider joining the conversation in the thread that I linked above. Read the other thread carefully and try to get the script to work (notice in the last post that Dan recently changed the script to make it more convenient so some of the steps in that post have changed).

I was not recommending to use the build script but rather distro packages. All he needs is most of the standard Qt development packages that are already in the distro. Qt development is easy on Linux, and there are many Qt apps in the distro repositories. Building Shotcut on certain distros that have latest version of MLT should be very easy, but I do not know specifics about MX Linux. All I know it is based on some version of Debian.

Just speaking for myself here… I am more inclined to help someone trying to compile Shotcut using the script because there are fewer variables. I agree that using distro packages might be convenient, but I will not be able to support as well if I need to help figure out if the version of any one of the many dependencies is not compatible with Shotcut.

EDIT:
$ make -j8
^^^^
now shows no missing dependencies.

$ make install
^^^ is giving me some errors in the source code, so that will be my next challenge, to figure those out.

But I will also study the post and thread on the forum here on the recommended build method. I feel a sense of accomplishment though in solving the dependencies issue, that was quite a hurdle.

Things are looking better. I went through my package manager and installed what looked useful for this, and now I am down to just two missing packages (I think). I would like to figure out how to compile Shotcut from the command line, especially as I have reduced the number of “Unknow modules” to just two now.
$ make -j8
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: multimedia websockets

Okay I will do that (study that link, ‘What is the “official” way of building in 2020’)

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.