Preview in the editor ok, but exported videos empty

Sometimes SC (old and new versions) exports empty videos (for me).
However, these can still be played in the editor without errors.
The cause seems to mainly affect videos that were recorded with older smartphones.

Nevertheless, I do not understand why editing works but exporting does not !!!
No matter whether with or without hardware encoding.
It also doesn’t help to use a lossless codec.

I tried now to convert in SC the source-video “in compatible format”.
Priview again ok. The export stays empty.

How can such a question be answered?

• What operating system you’re using.
  • Some screenshots.
  • Maybe we need a saved *.mlt project file
1 Like

Cause problems only visible in the exported Video i need many hours of testing.
I have now found out the following:
The export only works if some filters are deactivated -or- replaced by other filters.
For example: S,P,R do not work but S,P work.
No contrast, no other filters too (but not only gpu filters).

It would save a lot of time if filters that don’t work in export already don’t work in the preview.

Depending on how old the version is, there might be bugs that have been fixed a long time ago. Have you tried the latest release version? Shotcut - Download

This might make it worse since many video players can not play videos that were encoded with a lossless codec.

I think that in order to help you we will need a small, specific example. Maybe some screenshots can help.

Not only the last stable. I tried 18.11 (for testing), 22.01., 22.12 and the last beta

Have edited maybe 50 mlt and exported videos.
At the end i got a working export with deactivated filters.
Don´t know, wich mlt you wish to see.

1min - Offensive im Vorderfeld 02 23.04 SP light saturation colourgrading without names.mlt (16.9 KB)
This mlt works.
For uploading i have to delete some names to X in it.

OK. That is helpful. Now if you could change only one thing to make it break, can you upload the MLT that does not work?

I can tell without doing a new mlt:
If i use SPR insteat of SP.
Or if i use filter contrast

Ok. Unfortunately, I can not recreate your problem. Here are the steps I take:

1. Download the mlt file you link above
  2. In a text editor, replace your media files with my own media files
  3. Open the mlt file in Shotcut
  4. Export the project
  5. Observe that the exported file matches the Shotcut preview
  6. Click on track “V1” and, in the filters panel, enable the contrast filter that is disabled in the mlt file you provided

1. Export the project
  2. Observe that the exported file matches the Shotcut preview

Can you help me find some steps that will make the export file bad?

Thanks for your help.
All steps work for me too. But if i take filter SPR insteat of S&P, or if i take Contrast, the export in empty.
Preview is allways ok.

I think, problem is my old videofile (2018 from smartphone)
I will try to convert the vbr 29,9x fps to cbr 30 with other software (shutter encoder).
Than i test it shotcut again.

My newer (smartphone videos) have no problems in shotcut. I use SC since years.

Maybe (I know there was an export issue related to some pixel phones a long long time ago), but since the appearance of both the SP and SPR filters demonstrates a version “mismatch”, then a version related issue (i.e filter problems) is certainly worth considering.

OP, for the contrast filter, have you tried removing it completely (not just unchecking) and then re-adding it?

[quote=“PoisonedSlice, post:13, topic:38332”]
OP, for the contrast filter, have you tried removing it completely (not just unchecking) and then re-adding it?[/quote]

Have done both.
But deactivating is enough.

It is not a good idea to bring project files made with this old version into recent versions. Projects made with version 19.04 or older saved XML with locale-sensitive numbers that will not be interpreted correctly on export in versions since 22.03. For the next version I will try to make Shotcut detect this problem and repair the XML.

The reason Contrast filter breaks the video is because its value is not saved as % but in a value [0, 1]. When the decimal symbol is saved wrong in the XML then it is interpreted as 0.

appearance of both the SP and SPR filters demonstrates a version “mismatch”, then a version related issue (i.e filter problems)

The “SP” is Size & Position using the GPU (it has a different icon and “gpu” in its keywords shown at the bottom of the filter chooser). SPR is shown even with GPU effects tuned on because it has rotate.

Thank you for the detailed and understandable explanation.

With SC it is great to be able to use the portable versions!
I have 4 different SC in parallel on my PC:
18.11 + 22.01 (for some old SC-projects) + 22.12 (stable) + 23.04 beta (for new functions).

To use some old video projects with new functions (e.g. Glaxnimate), I partly “mixed” them.
I should avoid this in the future.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.