Piano video edit, how to achieve this in Shotcut?

Hello @jonray and others.

I have been working hard trying to improve the video in Shotcut even more and here is the result of my new procedure to make the video step by step.
What I changes did:

• we recorded all video tracks again to avoid any extra work with masking unwanted objects in the background by putting black sheet under piano

Then I used the gradient filter to darken up the area under hands. It works, however I bumped into some serious picture quality issues when blending with key lights, but then luckily I found a simple solution that worked perfect - Levels filter - increase input black. For some reason hands went red which I resolved with the Color Grading filter to get desired result:

• Key lights - I managed to simplify the procedure of blending the light through the keyboard a lot, just using blur and chroma filters.This time I generated as bright keypress lights as possible from the midi visualizer (the Keysight software):

The blur filter brings desired light effect:

Then the image look like this when blending together with piano track, notice the cutting line which disturbs the effect:

This problem was resolved by using the chroma filter, don’t ask me why, I don’t know, perhaps some Shotcut expert can explain how that works, but the result image looks quite neat to my eyes finally:

The last filter used was the Opacity filter on the piano hands track which made a nice contrast between lights and keyboard after finding the right value of opacity.

Further goals achieved:

• Recorded in 4k (will need to buy a new computer as the export times increased a lot!)
  • Managed to make the lights more “contrast” or “particular”
  • Used different colors in another video to introduce some variety in effects.

Here is my 2 videos produced so far. What do you think? Have I managed to improve it or is there something I could still change to improve further? With the second video I was fighting with contrast a bit and have not managed to get where I wanted to be, but I think I can still be happy with the result.

Bach - Prelude C Major

I will make these videos public soon.
If you like them then please go on that channel and Like&Subscribe to support my daughter’s work and also to catch up with further content which will be coming a lot in the near future.

Lot of lessons learned in this project, pretty much only trial-error approach, but I think it’s a good way to learn new things and I feel much more comfortable in Shotcut now.

4 Likes

Great videos! And great mastery of Shotcut. Way to go!

2 Likes

Hi @Viktor_CZ - these videos are amazing! Well done - great job. And thanks for your explanations of how you did it. I learned a lot from you!

So that’s your 10-year-old daughter? She’s amazing! I will certainly like and subscribe your channel.
Congratulations! :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Hi @Viktor_CZ again - just one question - is that the piano sound straight from the Roland FP50X keyboard? If so, it’s impressive. Very realistic!

hi @jonray, yes that is my little miracle. I am hoping for her to have fans like you, people that love and understand music well.

As for the sound, this is Rolland FP90X and yes its direct sound captured over USB into a wav file. No edits or enhancements required.

Thank you for your kind words. I am certainly motivated to do even better in the future to help to deliver some quality content for my girl.

1 Like

Hi @viktor, yes indeed, your daughter is very talented. She is also very lucky to have you as a dad! :+1:Please do let me know the name of your channel when it’s up and running. I will folllow it!

1 Like

hi @jonray

here is the link to her channel https://www.youtube.com/@ArtfulEva

Thank you for subscribing! And if you can spread the word, so she can get more “quality” subscribers like you, that would be awesome.

Also don’t forget to click notification bell and change to “All” so you get notified about new videos on that channel.

1 Like