Pause Active Video By Clicking It!

Life with ShotCut would be much easier if, when after opening a file we could pause it with one mouse click on the main video frame. Click to play would make editing faster and better. That tiny play button is frustrating.

I suggest a setting selection where we can choose to have autoplay on or off when loading clips.

One more thing: ShotCut autosaves way to frequently, and there should be a check box where we can turn autosave on/off, or even better, let us incrementally adjust it in settings.
I think because my hard drive hiccups on save while my RAM is peaked, is why mine crashes.
ShotCut tends to be autosaving at the precise moment that I am manually saving a project, and depending on other hard drive activity, crashes during the process.
Being able to wind back the autosaving would stop this.

The software is solid, the program is good, and the forum is helpful. It made the learning curve smooth.
What kept me using ShotCut (being new to the field), are the good tutorials.
Thanks for all your hard work I really am enjoying video creation and have a great project on the go.
:film_strip: Thanks & Cheers! :film_strip:

PS: I notice even the autosave feature on this text box is cranked too, and am thinking less autosaving could slow the frequent crashing of ShotCut. The option to adjust it would be perfect.
Thanks guys,

Shotcut rules! :smiley:

Forget the mouse click. Space bar stops/starts the active video.
https://www.shotcut.org/howtos/keyboard-shortcuts/

1 Like

SC only autosaves the XML file [.MLT], nothing more. It should pose no more overhead than saving a .txt file.

This text box has nothing to do with Shotcut NLE and cannot cause it to crash. Nor does it have anything to do with the Shotcut devs, you’re using ‘Discourse’ forum software founded by Jeff Atwood, Robin Ward, and Sam Saffron in 2013.

PS: To follow on from Hudson555x. Spacebar is a common start/stop key for videos editors everywhere.
I agree however that loading a video should not necessarily ‘autoplay’ - so an option to choose would be useful.

Yeah I use the space bar alot. It’s just that the order I seem to do things makes it more conducive alot of times to have it “right there”. I know I’m being picky, and it’s likely really hard to add in something like that when the program already works well. It would mean I could edit without lifting my left arm. The epitome of lazy.
lol.

Thanks Steve. Very informative, exactly what I wanted to know. This forum is great.
I find for me at least, it is more efficient to know at exactly what point that save is, or at least how frequent.
Also, mapping programs I used in the past routinely crashed on save if autosave was too often.
I know this is different, yet the foundational problem is still there.
We used to turn it off or at least down alot because it did more harm than good.
I find when I have to begrudgingly go to an autosave point, I miss edits. Sometimes I am not done with an edit and it saves my step on the wrong foot if that makes sense. It’s worse with maps maybe.
Dev: Give it a shot and let me know if reducing autosaves also reduces reported crashing. If I’m wrong I’ll be right here to listen and understand why it does crash so darn much. Thanks for the help
Cheers

I definitely agree that a one-click pause button would be much appreciated! It would make editing much faster and smoother. Additionally, having the option to adjust the autosave frequency would be great, as it could help prevent the frequent crashing of ShotCut. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in – it’s really appreciated!