Please do not remove Text: HTML

You are really planning to remove the “Text: HTML” feature!? For God’s Sake, don’t! This is one of my most used features! Please, don’t, I need it! :cry:

Unfortunately I fear it’s too late, the decision has been made :unamused:

We recently had quite a long discussion here:

NOOOOOO! Why was the text filter removed?! I used it SOO much.

The next version of Shotcut (v20.06) will still have the Text:HTML filter. It is the version following that will not. So I plan on keeping a copy of v20.06 for those times when I need the Text:HTML filter and use the default one otherwise. Read the long post that jonray linked to in order to see the strategy I plan to follow.

1 Like

Hello,

I understand, there are some problems in Text:HTML filter, since the beginning, I suppose… But it is the only way do to a scrolled text, isn’t it? Is there a new something planed to do scrolled texts?

You can actually scroll text using the Size & Position filter with keyframes and I believe Dan is proposing to introduce better text facilities than are currently available with the Text:Simple filter.

Use Lottie Animation is not possible?

Some (not all) Lottie animation files can be used in Qt UIs, such as Shotcut, but that isn’t what we are discussing here. We are talking about creating complex animations that are frame synchronised with video clips on multiple tracks in the shotcut timeline, which at present can be done using Shotcut-MLT’s WebVfx javascript framework, which unfortunately is being discontinued later this year.

Well, I’ve read all the posts carefully (Thanx for all!), but they don’t contain viable solutions for the time after removing the “Text: HTML” filter. I am not an expert and most of the suggestions seems to me much too complicated. So I will follow my very own strategy: No longer updating the programm until I surely know, a practicable alternative filter was integrated. The way it is now, it’s good enough and otherwise all my saved *.mlt files would no longer work. (Too much efforts just for the waste, isn’t it?)
For me it’s absolutely incomprehensible, why a functionable filter have to be changed or even removed, only because of someone call it “deprecate”. Brave new world… That’s a real pity. :roll_eyes:

I changed your subject since it was misleading. I have not changed my mind that eventually WebVfx will be going away. The actual timing depends upon when all builds against an updated version of Qt libraries are working.

The solution could be for shotcut to develop its own scrolling text motor… I know, it’s easier to say than to do.

@pfeuh I think in a way like this too. New filters using the new standards would be desirable and I’m really sure, they will be there in the future. But they’re unfortunately not the solution for all the saved files using the filter in the past. In my opinion that’s the main problem.

It sounds like a lot of text tutorials are about to become obsolete. Luckily, I’m a new user and I haven’t ventured out beyond the Text: Simple filter and using keyframes for movement.

Dear friends.
I use credit rolls a lot for my videos. If Shotcut eliminates html text effect from it’s software, then how will I be able to do the same effect without the HTML filter? Does anyone know if by removing the filter, shotcut will add a scroll filter in it’s place?
Thank you so much for all your help.
Daniel

There’s a replacement for the HTML filter, but I have no idea what it looks like or what’s included in it.

Doing scrolling text (horizontal or vertical) just by using simple text and keyframes is do-able. It’s the only way I do it, in fact.

Thank you so much for your fast reply. Do you know of any tutorials on how to do scroll text with key frames?
Thank you again.
Daniel

This YouTube list should get you started. I haven’t previewed any of them, but what you’re looking for should be here somewhere.

Thank you so much my friend. You have been such a great help.

It is relatively simple:

Create your text on a clip, either by using the Text:simple filter or (outside Shotcut) create e.g. a PNG file with your text on it and import it as a clip.

e.g. Apply the Size & Position Filter to the clip, and use simple keyframes to set the position of the top of the clip at the beginning to just below the bottom of the screen and the position of the bottom of the clip at the end to just above the top of the screen. Et Voila - as the playhead progresses through the clip the text will smoothly move across the screen from bottom to top.

1 Like

Thank you dankhara for asking the question, and thanks RickS for your insight. This has been on my short list to research… Now i know where to go :slight_smile: