New user question about transitions

Hi everybody,
I’m a new Shotcut user and I have not a great experience in video editing so I apologize if my question is trivial…

I’m using transitions, and I’ve seen the video tutorial about this subject but I’m not able to “remove” transitions.
I mean: how I can separate two videos that are partially overlapped in transition?
If I have two 10 seconds videos and I overlap them for 1 second transition, I get a 19 seconds video.
How I can get back the two 10 seconds videos (without using the undo button, obviously)?
I can delete the 1 second trantion but in this way I cut 1 second at the end of the first video and 1 second at the begin of the second one.
I can also shorten the transition moving its limits but I don’t get beck the two original videos.

Someone can help me?

Thanks in advance

It sounds like what you’re describing is a cross fade, in which two videos fade into one another. I can see what you mean by saying it “subtracts” time away from the original clip but that is the way it is intended to work.

If you want a fade in/out that preserves the length of just one clip, you can add a fade in/out filter in the filters panel, or on the timeline by dragging the corners inwards to the clip. The filter can either be set to fade from black or opacity (see-through).

In order to delete these fade-in/out filters, just go back into the filters panel and remove them with the “-” icon. Delete a cross fade like you would a normal clip. I hope this helps. :slight_smile:

Thank you Lauren.
Yes, it’s cross fade what I’m talking about…
It seems that this operation is in some way “destructive”.
I thought it was a reversible operation since the original videos are always present.
Anyway, you answered my question, I will try filters.
Thanks