My first big project: 1998 in Games

“1998: Why it’s (probably) the Greatest Year Ever in video games” - https://youtu.be/O8ycs2bqa1s

Hey, here’s a thing I made! I just launched my first video on a new channel I’m starting about video games through the ages, and my first project is about the year 1998 and why it’s such a stand-out year for gaming.
I made it almost entirely in Shotcut, about 90-95% I would say. Did some of the earliest chapters on another, much more limited program (despite not being free…) before discovering Shotcut, which I find much easier to use and just all-round excellent in most aspects. Though for some of the bottom-thirds and other text (game titles mainly) I used different software which had some pretty good text-presets. I could’ve possibly gotten the same results on Shotcut but decided to go the easy route, since the other editor had a large variety of text styles, animations, etc. and I knew that would work.

I should add also that I’m still learning alot, not just about video editing but especially narration and audio mixing…so apologies for some poor audio quality in parts, I need to get a new mic, and just git gud at audio I guess :wink:

Anyway, if you’re into retro games or gaming history then this might be up your alley. Hope you enjoy and feel free to give my any pointers.

(also if you’re wondering, its all 720p because I simply need to upgrade my hardware situation, new hard drives, graphics cards etc…but not in a great financial situation atm. Planning to fix those issues as soon as possible)

4 Likes

My, oh my… What an impressive piece of work.
I’m only at the 20 minute mark, but I think I’ve seen enough to be able to give a first impressions of your video.
For starts, it’s obvious that you invested a great deal of time in the pre-production. I can only imagine the amount of research required to gather and organize all the information you provide for each game. Everything is coherent, well spoken and… fascinating. Even for someone like me who was not playing video games anymore in 1998 :slight_smile: My gamer years started in the late 1970’s (in the arcades) and pretty much ended with Zelda: A Link to the Past and Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo.

So far, I can’t find anything to criticize regarding the narration and the quality of the audio mix… Your voice stands out very clearly above the video games music and sounds.

It’s hard to tell what are the 5-10% parts made with other programs. So far, all that I’ve seen is doable with Shotcut.

Well done.

I’ll go watch the rest now. Maybe I’ll find some you-should-have-done-this-like-this-instead-of-like-that in the remaining footage. But I doubt it. If so, I’ll come back for a second impression :smiling_imp:

1 Like

Wow, thanks so much for the kind words! Yeah I did put quite a bit of work in tbh, started editing about a year ago (and writing even before then…), and started using Shotcut a few weeks after that. In terms of what I made elsewhere, chapter 5 (Pokémon Y) was made almost entirely in the first program I used, and Ch. 6 was done halfway in one, half in the other. Those chapters were the first I made, so please keep that in mind in case they, you know…suck a bit :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I agree that the production quality is high. And the research is impressive. As a viewer, I tend to prefer more smaller, digestible videos than one longer video. I know that I can pick up where I left off, but I don’t always do that.

Thank you for sharing this great example of what can be accomplished using Shotcut. These are the kinds of things that keep me going.

Wow, one year! :+1:

respect

Well, if you don’t know that chapters 5 and 6 were made with another program, I think you wouldn’t notice.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.