Merging clips

I’m used to merging clips by highlighting one clip and choosing the merge with next clip option. On current project OK for first two out of five clips, then the merge clip option wasn’t there. Can I recover it somehow?

It is not there because the clips are not contiguous. You can only merge splits where it goes from frame N to frame N + 1.

It started out as a continuous 3 minutes or so video which I wanted to edit, so I split at playhead X2 to create a separate clip, edited it, e.g. brightness, then repeated the process for more clips, eventually 5. I returned to the first clip, highlighted it, and hit the merge with next clip option. O.K. But after that the merge option disappeared. Tried some more the next day, now all five clips have no merge option. Is there another way to make the five into a continuous video? Or to reinstate the merge function, which I have used successfully in the past?

I just tried it with version 22.01.30 and works as expected: I can merge all of the clips that were split. What version of Shotcut are you using?

20.10.31 To be fair, most of my editing of videos from DVD’s of holiday snaps over the years was done with shotcut a couple of years or more ago. Current project is to re-edit one of those existing videos. So is it that my version needs upgrade? Though as I said the merge option was there to start with. I see there is an upgrade option in “help”.

I just tried it with version 20.07.11 (I keep a copy of this in order to user the Text:HTML filter from time to time) and that works too.

I would do the following:

1. Make a copy of your project (.mlt) file so if anything goes wrong you can get back to it.
  2. Download the current portable version of Shotcut from here: Shotcut - Download, and open the copy in it.
  3. Check to see if the problem is fixed.

There are certain filters that have changed between your version and the latest, so check carefully that the result is as you expect it to be. If all is well, then I’d update your copy of Shotcut to the latest and greatest.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.