Mac or windows or linux?

I use all of the OS’s, so I was a little confused. And I have barely tried more than 5 or 6 machines. So I might not be the perfect person to myself decide the right choice, that’s why I stood up the discussion, I even stood up this discussion on a private forum, there the people told me that m1 max would be the best for my purposes, but I do think @TimLau is correct, because I do make heavy projects, but due to such good optimization on the Mac, the pro also runs nice.

So, I might not would have got what I actually needed, to be true, I was thinking of a Mac Pro with 768gb ram. But that wouldn’t be needed mostly.

Only thing about the M1 (ARM based) Macs I would be weary of is they must be getting their speed in a lot of their tasks from hardware accelleration of certain tasks. This is my guess.

With open source software, do we get the same level of hardware accelleration? This would be a good answer to search for. I know there is a shotcut port but I would be really careful to see if you are going to get the major speed improvements the other applications are reported as getting.

1 Like

I do see lot smoother playback and faster export speed on m1 than the windows machine I had, I wonder how it could beat a rtx 3090 in exporting.

I mean that guy was a beast, it exports a 50 secs video in 13 secs, but m1 exports in 10 secs.

I do think that I got good lappy now, maybe I wouldn’t switch back to windows in future, and stay in the Apple ecosystem. Never know.

why don’t just wait for m2, release this month, :sweat_smile: you purchased m1 pro already :sweat:

1 Like

I read that it would published in the half of 2022, so I couldn’t wait for 3-4 months without any laptop. I had to buy a laptop under 20 days, otherwise I would have missed a lot of work. So I bought the m1, but don’t worry, I have enough left on my budget. I will surely buy the m2 :wink: .

windows so popular in India 95% of people using windows

I don’t know why you relate to the usage of the OS in a specific country, because from what I know, people in India use Windows because of extreme budgets. Not because it’s popular.
In simple words, it’s popular because it’s cheap, not cheap because it’s popular. I shall not use “popular” as a term here, the correct term here would be “more used”.

Actually let’s do a experiment to find out the truth of which OS is popular, I will create a poll to find out.

Which OS is better?
  • MacOS
  • Windows
  • Linux
  • Other (State the specific OS in reply)

0 voters

If you vote, kindly state the reason of choosing that OS.

I choosed Mac, because it’s simple, optimized and clean. It works smooth as butter, and is really fast.

I chose Linux because I have been using it for years, it suits me just fine.

1 Like

It depend on your needs are and your preferences and yours skills are.
It is like asking what car is the best one.

I have used Linux for many years, so it is best for me.
but for many people windows is best and for other Mac is best.

1 Like

Is this vote for which is better or which is more popular?
The only way to answer which is better is to actually be forced to use all of them for a period of time (at least a month) and then describe the pros and cons, otherwise you’ll just get votes for what platform anyone uses at the moment so back to popular, not the better.

For example I can’t vote as I haven’t used macOS enough to have an informed opinion. Which leaves me Windows vs Linux, at which point I give my clear vote to Windows. I really want to give linux a chance but sadly I had some problems even doing basic stuff on it (including graphic driver issues, UI simply breaking up on some apps, file browser crashing after a bunch of file moves, logon page not working after sleep etc). It’s still ok in a virtual machine or if I have to do a one time thing, but to daily run it… sadly Windows is the only real choice for me (and I’m starting to hate it’s move to a more dumb-user-friendly design philosophy)…

This is a vote for just getting the popular OS, it doesn’t mean it is good or not. It’s just simple poll to explain popularity.

If you have not used Mac OS, then it’s still ok, you can choose windows or linux, or if you think that the others is better, than you can do that too. You have to simply vote your preference.

An analysis of statcounter reports from the end of 2021 indicate:

Android is the world’s most-used operating system when judged by web use. It has 41% of the global market, followed by Windows with 32%, Apple iOS with 16%, then Chrome OS at 1.1% These numbers do not include embedded devices or game consoles.

• For smartphones and other pocket-sized devices, Android leads with 73% market share, and Apple’s iOS has 27%.
  • For desktop and laptop computers, Windows is the most used at 75%, followed by Apple’s macOS at 16%, and Linux-based operating systems, including Google’s Chrome OS, at 5% (desktop Linux at 2.35%).
  • With tablets, Apple’s iOS has 55% and Android has 45%

For the above devices, smartphones and other pocket-sized devices make up 55%, desktops and laptops 43%, and tablets 2.5%.

For the latest stats see:

3 Likes

I read that it would published in the half of 2022, so I couldn’t wait for 3-4 months without any laptop.

?

Looks like you copied my post.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.