Lost timecode XavcS

Hi
I am trying Shotcut, which seems to be the soft I need, apart for one important thing:
I absolutely need to export an EDL to grade in Resolve, but when importing footage in Shotcut, timecodes are lost; so, of course, they don’t appear in the EDL script.
Example:

=== playlist0 ===

001 C0073 AA/V C 00:00:00:00 00:00:28:40 00:00:00:00 00:00:28:40

• FROM CLIP NAME: C0073.MP4
    002 C0098 AA/V C 00:00:04:35 00:00:38:44 00:00:28:40 00:01:02:49
  • FROM CLIP NAME: C0098.MP4

Every clip is beginning at 0. (And of course I checked that this was not the case in the original file!)

Is there is one solution to help me (not including a manual rectification, of course! :slight_smile:)

Thanks a lot!

Best regards

Cyril

Don’t use file-embedded time codes when opening the EDL in Davinci, and use the file names from the comments instead. Look for the PDF here at the forum for a tutorial.

Here’s that tutorial I mentioned: MLT2EDL script error fix

If you need to zero the embedded time codes in your source files, it can be done with Eyeframe Converter:

However the settings for only changing the time code and copy everything else(very fast) is not included. So it must be made along these lines(efc is a GUI for ffmbc): https://stackoverflow.com/questions/9974278/copying-timecode-into-output-file-ffmpeg-or-ffmbc

If you want to zero the embedded time codes in your source material, then get Eyeframe Converter - link above.

Open Notepad, insert this text in a new document:

intermediate
ffmbc.exe -i “” -vcodec copy -acodec copy -timecode -metadata reel_name= -threads 8 -y “.mov”

proxy
ffmbc.exe -i “” -vcodec copy -acodec copy -timecode -metadata reel_name= -threads 8 -y “.mov”

1. Save it as “Copy + Embed TC & RN.txt”.
  2. And place it in: “C:\Users\Public\Documents\EyeFrame Data\Formats for edit”
  3. Start Eyeframe Converter.
  4. Drag and drop all your source files into EFC
  5. Select all files Ctrl+a
  6. Right-click in the time code column.
  7. Add 00:00:00:00 and Okay.
  8. Right-click in the reel name column.
  9. Check Use file name and Okay.
  10. Click the Convert button.
  11. Select editing tab(Not delivery!).
  12. Select “Copy + Embed TC & RN.txt”
  13. Uncheck “Create files…”
  14. Enter an empty folder.
  15. Hit convert.
  16. And the files will quickly be copied with new time codes and reel names.
    [There might be a pop up showing an error, but if the files are created, then ignore the pop up]

Well… Thanks a lot for those answers!
My English is not very good, so please forgive me if my questions seem to be stupid.
Here is my comments and queries:
1-if I understand well, it is not possible to keep the original TC when importing clips into Shotcut. So it cannot export correct EDL. Is that right?
2-I already read the pdf you told me to read; but it seems to have been written before Shotcut was able to export edl directly. Is that correct?
3-You suggest me, instead of using the original TC, to change it to 0, So the TC would match. (Did I understand well?)
Well, why not, but…
4-Is there is not any solution to keep the original TC inside Shotcut? This would be really better than changing the original TC…
Thanks again! Hope there is some solution…
Best regards
Cyril

1-if I understand well, it is not possible to keep the original TC when importing clips into Shotcut. So it cannot export correct EDL. Is that right?

Yes. Shotcut is not able to read and use embedded time codes. It is mainly pro-cameras which can embed a time code in the source files, so it is properly out of the scope of Shotcut. What was this material shot on?

2-I already read the pdf you told me to read; but it seems to have been written before Shotcut was able to export edl directly. Is that correct?

Only the first part. The Davinci import settings are still important and so is the need to save an EDL pr. track. As the EDL do not support several tracks in a simple way. Another thing is that Resolve doesn’t import separate audio tracks from EDL, so you might want to export an audiofile(ex. wav) to import into Resolve.

3-You suggest me, instead of using the original TC, to change it to 0, So the TC would match. (Did I understand well?)

Yes. It’s a workaround.

4-Is there is not any solution to keep the original TC inside Shotcut? This would be really better than changing the original TC…

Well, you can add that feature to the suggestion part of the forum and hope that it will convince the Shotcut developers to think that it is an important feature to add.

Even Avid can’t read the time code embedded in xavc-s: https://community.avid.com/forums/t/181668.aspx

Do Davinci Resolve really read the time codes in xavc-s when importing an EDL?

In the EFC suggestion above the files are copied to a .mov container. I’m not sure xavc-s will work in a .mov container, on wikipedia .mp4 is suggested, but I do not think the ffmbc(efc) can embed time code into .mp4. But you can try. Actually it’s that new a format that I’m not sure if EFC will open the files at all.

Thanks again.
I don’t know about Avid but Resolve, Vegas, Lightworks and Premiere are able to read the TC from my A7s.
Well, I must try that and see! Even if you scare me with that changing of container…
Thank you!
Cyril

If you have Resolve the options you must select are called “Use time code from source clip frame count” & “Assist using reel names from source clip filenames” & “Extract reel names from edl comments”.

NB. Resolve do not import audio tracks from EDL.

Do you mean that, if I select those 3 options, I won’t have to change the TC? Would be nice!
Thanks for the NB. All the sounds are out of Resolve. But this is a good thing to know!

Thanks. Let me know how it goes.

I tried something less useful but more sure for my footage: in Resolve, I change the TC of each video clip to 0, so that it’s matching the Shotcut one. It works well (seems to, at that time) and it does not change anything on the original footage.
Thank you!
Cyril

This Resolve edl import setting should(in theory) do the same(using framecount): “Use time code from source clip frame count”. Doesn’t it work?

Well, sorry for the delay! Too much to do.
I just try with the options you described. Strangely, clips are offline, instead the name is the good one! Very strange!
I try to find a solution and come back as soon as possible!

Thanks again!

Cyril

Hi
I looked in Resolve. Very strangely, some clips are beginning with a TC at 0 (because of the option you told me to put in) but some are not! They begin with the original TC, as if the option was “embedded in the source clip”.
Maybe a bug in Resolve…
But the idea was the good one, thank you very much!
(Well, I have to put each clip to 0, or to try another soft…)

Sounds strange. But good to know.

I’m no Resolve expert - did you try something like this?

Anyway, you can try to overwrite the timecodes with Eyeframe Converter(just make a copy of your original files to be safe) - the process is very fast and doesn’t include any re-encoding of the files.

Hi
I didn’t try that (black gabs).
Yes Eyeframe is quite a good idea, maybe also to use more editable clips than XAVCs, which is really terrible to edit.
For the moment, I decided to use lightworks, but for another reason: it reads really more quickly my clips (before and after proxies). When needing EDL export, I have to buy it for a month, what I wanted not to do, but…
Thank you very much again!
Cyril

Originally Eyeframe Converter was developed because Lightworks had trouble importing/exporting anything but a few pro-formats. I hope that you double-checked that files from Lwks easily can be imported in Resolve.

On a different note. I just added EDL export to Blender(but not using embedded tc or rn): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdyMN9tQ21k

I joined the forum specifically to ask this question.
I send time code to my audio recorder through the HDMI port of my Canon 5D Mk iii. I occasionally shoot with multiple cameras and would love to be able to locate the exact same point (say 8 mins and 25 seconds in) within the other camera’s footage.

I love Shotcut, but gutted that it doesn’t read the embedded time code, yet it supports other time code functions.