LAYOUT reverts to messy on Open Program from File

What is your operating system?
:stop_button:Win10

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

I make/save layout. Close program. Double click recent desktop file. Layout is NOT used. I RELOAD my layout every time Shotcut’s opened.

Is there some way to make a created layout the default one? I see only “restore default layout” in menu.

Thanks☺

It does already save and reload. It is working for me.

What do you do to make it work?

1. Start Shotcut
  2. Change UI somehow like move Keyframes panel
  3. Optionally, choose View > Layout > Add…, give it a name, and click OK.
  4. Close Shotcut
  5. Double-click a .mlt file to open it.
  6. Shotcut looks the same as the way it does at the beginning of step 4.

Please explain how your steps are different or on which step it fails.

my steps are the same as yours, the layout does not remain as set after closing.

before and after shots
I constantly have to readjust the timeline and keyframes and playlist & Properties
If I change from full screen to windowed and back it also changes and needs reversion.

The monitor its on is a wide one turned vertical.

Was there going to be any discussion on this being fixed? I have established this is a BUG…

Can’t duplicate. Windows 10 Home. Shotcut 22.04.25

Do you get the same bug with a horizontal screen?
I do not have a vertical screen to test.

With a horizontal screen, I could not duplicate the issue.
Saved it as a layout.
Save a MLT

Closed Shotcut
Opened Shotcut

Opened existing MLT

And continued to close and reopen Shotcut with existing projects. All same results.
Example #2

Example #3

I did not reproduce it either. Most of the code for this is in the Qt library we use, but it can be affected by the minimum size and stretch behaviors configured on some of the UI elements. You can try to fix it yourself, or maybe someone else will.

I have this bug on a VERTICAL monitor. It seems fine on normal horizontal ones. I’m going to have to switch two of m monitors around so i can reorient it horizontally. Since this is not a thing the majority of Shotcut users are going to need, I’ll probably never get help on it. So compromise is one sided. I concede. I’m a Video editor not a coder.

on a side note
I have discovered that the LAG i was experiencing during re arranging layout only happens on my vertically turned monitor also… HORRIBLE LAG

Sorry, probably not relevant to anyone but me.

Have the same problem with shotcut-win64-221221 (portable).
Win10

I arrange a layout for 5 tracks in the timeline.
Then I save a video project.
As soon as I open the *.mlt, only 4.5 tracks appear.

When I save my 5 track layout under “Ralf Layout”, the same thing (4.5 instead of 5) happens by opening the *.mlt…
If I then click on “Ralf Layout”, I get my 5 track layout back.

This happens on my computer too. (on PC)

I’ve encountered it in previous versions of SC as well. The working layout does not save… it opens as default…

but it can load a custom layout I created, no problem. But when reopening, it drops to default again…