Just downloaded Shotcut 19.06, and first go has very rough audio

I’m probably doing something silly, but here goes. I’ve just downloaded Shotcut 19.06.15, and loaded some MP4 videos to try it out. I’m using Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13 9360, with Intel core i7-7500U CPU @2.70HGz 2 cores, 4 logical processors. 8GB RAM.

When I run a clip, the sound is very rough. It has dialog, which I can just make out, but it is not nearly as clear as the original clip, when played through Windows Media Player.

Even after watching the first half of the tutorial, I’m not sure of what I’m doing. There’s a lot to take in, so I decided to simply try it hands on, and slowly find out what to do. All I really need is software to tidy up videos (cut out the shaky bits and shots of my feet) and join them to make a simple record of a holiday. It would be handy to be able to adjust the sound levels, and perhaps add a commentary, but that’s about it.

I don’t want to waste time trying to edit these clips into a movie, only to find that the audio is this bad. If I can’t find out what is wrong, I’ll just have to try another editing software. Sorry :frowning_face:. I hope someone can help me.

Cheers,

Colin.

Thanks for the reply Dan. So you’re telling me that if I complete a project and burn it to a DVD, the quality will be as good as the original clips, and I should just ignore the poor quality during editing? It seems to me that this will make sound editing difficult. I will sometimes leave the audio in, as it adds to the movie, and sometimes edit it out if it is unclear. With the poor quality I have experienced so far, this could prove difficult. Are you saying this is a feature, not a bug?

Cheers,

Colin.

Try exporting a small part of your project to a file and check that the audio quality is acceptable. If not, see here for some suggestions.

Thank you for your helpful comment, Neil. I was planning to try a small export before wasting time (possibly) on the whole project. I’ll also make sure that my RAM is as clear as possible, with no other software running. I have other work to do over the next couple of days, but will report back when I get time to try a few things.

Cheers,

Colin

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.