What my Shotcut Settings are
Proxy: [Check] Use hardware encoder
Display method: DirectX
Video Mode: HD 1080p 60fps
Preview Scaling: 720p
[Check] Scrub Audio
[Check] Realtime
[Check] Progressive

I am asking this question because shotcut can get laggy at times.
I would like tips on how to improve shotcut’s performance.
i appreciate the help.

System specs should be enough imho.
I would suggest to use proxy editing - this improves a lot! Try to enable proxy editing and maybe disable hardware encoder.

what does hardware encoder do anyway?
and also how does the proxy work?

many thanks

That’s way better than the pc I use to record YouTube videos. I have enabled proxy and preview scaling (540p, that’s almost all you need for hd) . Which does a good improvement.

Mine pc which I use for making yt videos has 8 gigs, and no graphics card, with a intel i3 4 cores (2 physical cores)

Afaik HW encoder uses special features of your computers hardware, esp. graphics card features, to improve encoding performance. If your HW doesn’t meet the requirements needed for HW encoding this can lead to some disadvantages and increased encoding times. I didn’t use it so far as my laptop doesn’t have a dedicated graphics card - please do a search for more information what is needed here.

Proxy editing and preview scaling will have the most impact on improving lagginess when editing. The HW encoding only improves the encoding process when the hardware is sufficient for the needs of SC.

See the FAQ below for how Shotcut uses the Hardware Encoder (or Graphics Processing Unit - GPU) Shotcut - Frequently Asked Questions.

If you want to know more about GPUs see the following webpage:

ive quite the same specs with you, 4 tracks of 1080p will be tolareable, beyond that…good luck!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.