Is it possible to copy a section of a project into another Project?

Say, I have created an effect that I want to use in multiple projects, how can I do that?
The effect needs to be customized based on the project but the animation/motion remain the same.
How can I accomplish this?

The import clip from MLT wouldn’t work here as I want to be able to customize the generic effect for each project.

Some of the editors I have previously used allow this by letting you copy a clip/track from the timeline to another project.
How can this be done in Shotcut?

1 Like

Use the “Open MLT XML As Clip” feature that’s under “File”.

It allows you to open an existing MLT project file in a separate project and will treat that whole project as if it was a clip. So it would allow you to reuse effects or animation you’ve created before in Shotcut and without having to redo it.

I know that. Like I said, that wouldn’t work for me. I don’t want the whole project to become a clip. I still want to be able to edit the individual tracks it in the current project after importing and customize it.

Make the modifications before you bring in the mlt file as a clip to another project.

I want to be able to do this in multiple projects.
Imagine something like a text animation. All I want is to change the text in other projects.
I tried doing it fully in a project and exporting it but the backgrounds in the effects were not consistent. In the source project, I had a transparent background but when I imported it, it got a black background automatically.

Right. So what you would do is open that mlt file as its own project, modify it then open it as a clip in other project. If you want to keep the original text you had then just rename the modified mlt file as something else and open that one as a clip in the other project.

Yeah, I tried that. But I had issues with the background. I had a Text clip with a “size & pos” filter on it for animation. In the actual project, there was no background. But when I imported it, It had a black background.

I just did a test with a simple slide in animation for Text: Simple which I imported it into a separate project and the transparent background of the mlt file with the animation was kept. So I don’t know what your situation is that the alpha channel was not kept. You’re going to have to give more details.

However, it seems I discovered a separate issue with mlt files being opened in another project that I will test more later.

Ok. I will try it once more and will add more details based on that.

This is the project that I’m trying to import. In the project, I see that everything is transparent. lower-third-template.mlt (18.1 KB)

But when I import it into a different project, the sliding text brings in black background with it.

See the picture above. I have an orange background but when the text animation starts, the background becomes black.

I think the problem is with the keyframing of “Size, Position & Rotate” filter.

This is on the last two releases of Shotcut btw. I have not tried this in versions before.

This is usually not necessary to use a separate filter because the text filters have keyframable size and position as well.

This is the project that I’m trying to import. In the project, I see that everything is transparent. lower-third-template.mlt (18.1 KB)

It seems you uploaded the wrong file. This file does not look at all like a simple text project.

But when I import it into a different project, the sliding text brings in black background with it.

This workflow depends on Shotcut’s ability to output with transparency, which is limited: Any place where video is actively blended across multiple video tracks will be opaque.

Here is a simple example that works: lower-third-template.mlt (4.3 KB)

You can make the background transparent by Chroma Key filter.
And I found that you can copy and paste the filters across projects, it’s more convenient if you animate it completely by filter.

It wouldn’t work well here as even after trying out various values for the “distance” attribute, the text still looks jagged.

But this is nice. I didn’t know. This would be quite useful for some of the things I do. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.