Importing an MLT file as a clip is invalid on timeline

In order to downscale a project when rendering (since changing the canvas resolution of the original will result in all the size-and-position filters being invalid), I’ve imported its .mlt, and added it to the timeline of a project where the canvas resolution is 1440p (as opposed to 2160p). When I add the clip to the timeline, the preview says “INVALID”, and upon selecting the clip, the properties panel is empty. See the below screenshot (excuse the low quality, I’m accessing my rendering machine over the internet):

On reviewing the file in VS Code, it seems that the MLT that I imported isn’t even referenced in it. Refer to the attached.

downscale.mlt (2.5 KB)

What is your operating system?
Windows 10

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
21.05.01 (64-bit)

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

1. Open an MLT as a clip in a new Shotcut instance. Observe that the clip previews fine in the source preview. File I used: unify final pfa compiled - manual edit 2 - Repaired.mlt (45.0 KB)
  2. Add the clip to the timeline (the canvas can be in any resolution).
  3. Observe that the timeline preview renders it as an invlalid clip.

Any work-arounds that don’t involve me needing to manually redo all my size and position keyframes would be greatly appreciated. If this is an issue on my end, I’d appreciate some instructions to fix it.

Same as this:

Work around: Use version 21.03.21

1 Like

Unfortunately, since the projects were created with newer versions, I won’t be able to get them to work correctly in 21.03.21. Is there any word on when a patch will be dropping?

Any day now. Hiding as duplicate.

1 Like