I designed 8 png files for custom transitions

Hi all,
Over the last few weeks I designed 8 black and white png graphic files which I’ve been using with great success (I think anyway …!) in Shotcut to produce some custom transitions.

I just made a short video to showcase them:

https://streamable.com/gxsrd

I created the pngs with GIMP and PagePlus. Sometimes they are referred to as Luma files, I understand.

Here’s one of them as an example (Diagonal Rain):

Here are all the zipped png files should anyone like to experiment with them. They are in 2 batches, 1-4 and 5-Video Transition files 1-4 (PNG) by JONRAY.zip (3.3 MB)

Video Transition files 5-8 (PNG) by JONRAY.zip (882.2 KB)

It’s easy to create a custom transition in Shotcut using these files:

1. Unzip and place the files in any folder.
  2. On the timeline, drag one clip over another to create a transition.
  3. Select the transition (purple box), then click the properties tab.
  4. Navigate the drop-dpwn menu (where it says “dissolve”) to the bottom of the list (“custom”).
  5. Navigate to the folder in step 1 and click on one of the png files.
  6. Play the transition.
    Ta- dah, your transition should now appear.

You can speed up/slow down the transition by dragging its edges, and/or you can select “invert wipe” to make the transition run backwards, and/or you can adjust the softness.

Have fun!

Cheers!
Jon

PS Just to add, should anyone be wondering how it was done, that the title (with the yellow lines) at the start of the video was also designed by me, from scratch, using html/Webvfx and inserting it into the overlay HTML filter.

16 Likes

That’s awesome! :grinning: Great work as always and thanks a lot for sharing them!

@shotcut , I’ve been wondering if more transitions will be added in a future update or is it meant that if the user wants more transition options then they need to add them in themselves.

@jonray that is brilliant as always. They can also be used with the new mask from file filter as well.

A short video with your transitions and the mask from file filter.

https://streamable.com/mvca6

The video is a screen capture. Still waiting for the filter to be fixed. Can’t export with it.:frowning_face:

1 Like

Awesome work @jonray
DLed and added to my custom transition folder.

I’m normally not a fan of transitions but there are a few good ones there.
Good work @jonray

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, @sauron , @QDSOV , @Paul2 and @chris319 fo your messages.
@sauron, glad they work for you, nice demo!

OK, I hadn’t got round to trying that, not totally sure how to do it so it makes a transition with another clip. Do you put the two clips on two tracks? Don’t suppose you could post a quick screenshot of your timeline so I can see how you did it? :grin:

Yes you put 2 clips on 2 tracks.

Mask from file and Saturation on V3.
Mask from file, Sketch, Fade in, and Mask Apply on V2.

1 Like

Thanks, @sauron, just tried to re-create this effect, but I’m still struggling a bit. Do you need to apply keyframes to the mask filter to make it work? And is it important not to have anything on V1? Also do you need to apply the mask:from file AND the mask:Apply to make it work?

Sorry to be dense, I was wondering if you could maybe talk me through it step-by step? Only if you have the time and inclination, of course!! Many thanks!

In order to make a transition with the new Mask filters you need to have one clip or image on one video track and the second clip or image on another video track on top of it. Then you apply the “Mask: From File” filter to the clip/image that is on top. Where it says “File” you pick the transition you want whether it be from one of the stock transitions or a custom one. Then to actually make the transition you keyframe the Threshold setting. :slight_smile:

The “Mask: Apply” filter is to do certain masking effects with just one video track instead of having to use two video tracks like before. So for example doing the mosaic blur on just a certain part of the screen can now be done with just one video track by first picking “Mask: Simple Shape”, then picking the Mosaic filter and lastly applying the “Mask: Apply” filter at the end.

So the order from up to down on the filters list to do a Mask effect on one track is:

• Mask: Simple Shape filter
  • Effect filter
  • Mask: Apply filter

Fantastic reply! Thanks so much @sauron, I couldn’t seem to figure it out, but that has made it very clear. :+1::+1: Off to experiment (May have to be tomorrow now…) Cheers, Jon

[EDIT: just noticed that the reply was from @DRM, so thanks to you both!!]

Sorry I didn’t respond in a timely manner. The explanation that @DRM provided is perfect. One thing to note is that the mask from file filter is broken. I haven’t been able to export the video. Check out my bug report in the Beta thread.

Here’s the project file in case you want to dissect it. Used your png files.

Mask Transitions.mlt (19.7 KB)

Certainly no need to apologise, @sauron ! You are always more than helpful!
Thanks for the mlt file. I will perform surgery on it tomorrow :grinning::grinning:

You guys are doing awesome work. Now, how about getting Shotcut to do one of my favorite transitions, the ‘page curl’?

There is supposed to be one made for Kdenlive - I have downloaded it and was never able to get it listed as available. Can’t get it to work.

-=Ken=-

This is the page curl I found here.

Works with Shotcut using the overlap method and the mask from file filter. Unless you’re referring to a different page curl.

C%20wipe

1 Like

Yes, it’s another way to make wipe transition by keyframming of threshold property. You make nice example. Jonray transition png is nice and you can add to Shotcut luma list.

@sauron - thanks for the link to the Kdenlive luma files. Just downloaded a bunch. Some are really nice!
Never knew about these… J :+1::+1:

This is actually quite fun to play with. I just did the one below for a giggle and blow me if it doesn’t work like a dream :slight_smile:

EDIT: Updated - properly centred version :wink:

1 Like

They have quite a few good ones at the Kdenlive repository.

Unfortunately when you use them with the mask from file filter and key frame the threshold parameter, if your video has audio, it gets disrupted at the point where the key framing occurs.:frowning_face:

That IS fun!! Did you design it yourself?