How to speed up the export time?

I am trying to export a video I made (it’ll be going nowhere) it is 13 minutes long and it has an estimated time of 2 hours for export. Can I speed this up?

We need more information. How long is the video, how many / what sort of effects did you apply, what is the video mode for the video itself and for the export, what hardware and OS are you running it on, etc.

The vid is 13 minutes long. It has only text and a fade in and out. I am running it on a Windows 10 HP Envy (2016) with an Intel Core i5-6200. I have applied the hardware encoder as well.

Oh and it’s also a UHD

How much RAM do you have? This can be a major sticking point for video editing.

But also: you mentioned ticking the hardware encoder option. Do you have a separate GPU on the machine? If so, have you configured Shotcut for it? Try un-ticking the hardware encoder and see how it goes.

My RAM I believe it is 4GB

As I understand it, UHD = 4K = 3840x2160. 4GB of RAM is going to struggle to handle even HD, so this may be a major factor.

Have you tried un-checking the hardware encoder option?

An uncompressed UHDp60 video stream is 12Gbps (so 1.5GBps) - you’ll be swapping between RAM and Swap disks quite a lot to encode that. You’re probably limited in disk IO.

UHD1 = 3840x2160
DCI 4k = 4096x2160.

1 Like

With a 2-core processor and only 4GB of memory your system is woefully underpowered for 4K video processing.

From the FAQ: Shotcut - Frequently Asked Questions

What are the minimum system requirements?

Operating system: 64-bit Windows 7 - 10, Apple macOS 10.10 - 10.15, or 64-bit Linux with at least glibc 2.27.

CPU: x86-64 Intel or AMD; at least one 2 GHz core for SD, 4 cores for HD, and 8 cores for 4K.

GPU: OpenGL 2.0 that works correctly and is compatible. On Windows, you can also use a card with good, compatible DirectX 9 or 11 drivers. We do not have a list.

RAM: At least 4 GB for SD, 8 GB for HD, and 16 GB for 4K.

NOTE: If your computer is at the lower end of CPU and RAM requirements, you should use both the Preview Scaling and Proxy features to help reduce preview lag.

Hang on, just checked and I have 4 cores and 8GB, also I should be getting a new laptop/pc soon :smiley:

If it has 4 cores then the processor is not an Intel Core i5-6200. This processor only has 2 cores. Each core has 2 threads, making 4 threads in total. You may be confusing threads for cores. If you look at the resource manager in Windows it will show 4 CPUs but it means 4 THREADs… Also 8GB is still below the 16GB recommendation.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.