How to save a short clip?

Hi,

Need to make a trailer (short clip) of a longer MP4 video.

Checked the Shotcut video tutorials but not listed, then tried FAQ and found “How do I cut or trim a clip without encoding or transcoding it?” https://shotcut.org/FAQ/
This is not supported, and there are currently no plans to support it. We recommend that you use VirtualDub or Avidemux for that.

Question: Is it better to use VirtualDub or Avidemux for this?

If yes, which one is better to make trailers (~1 min)? Also want to start out simple, just one clip.

Thanks

Ken

A trailer and a short clip are two different things.

If you want to make a trailer, which means a short promotional clip that is made up of a montage of scenes from a movie, then you can certainly do that in Shotcut.

If you just want to pull a specific short clip in Shotcut from a larger clip without re-encoding then what you need to do is throw your video in the timeline, split the video up to the part that you want, select that clip, go to the Properties tab and pick Extract Sub-clip:

You can use either VirtualDub or Avidemux. Vdub, I believe only outputs to avi. Avidemux outputs to mp4 mkv avi webm flv and a few more.

With Avidemux you need to put your cuts on an I frame for the output to work properly.

I’ve used Avidemux in the past and still use it when I need to make a few cuts in a clip and save it without transcoding.

Technically, OK, but for a trailer, at least, you add a title and a music, so you need to transcode that parts.

Hi DRM,

Thanks for your detailed explanation!

I am sorry for the confusion, should have said what you did: “If you just want to pull a specific short clip in Shotcut from a larger clip without re-encoding then what you need to do is throw your video in the timeline, split the video up to the part that you want, select that clip, go to the Properties tab and pick Extract Sub-clip:”

Did a YouTube search using keywords “pull a specific short clip in Shotcut from a larger clip” (No “…”) and found “Shotcut Protip: Extract Clip Quickly (No Timeline Needed)” by Tux Designer Jun 12, 2018.

Since want to start out simple (No titles, comments, music…), this is just what I need! Missed this tutorial in my original search, shows what a difference the correct keywords make in your search results!!!

Still have a question: Would like to make the “short clip” end at the end of the first scene. When I move the end edit bar will it somehow indicate this point?

Thanks again for your help!!!

Ken

Hi sauron,

Thanks for the “With Avidemux you need to put your cuts on an I frame for the output to work properly” tip!

Will try.

Ken

Hi Keno40,

As mentioned to DRM, I should have said “short clip” instead of trailer.

Thanks for your explanation of trailer!

Ken

That’s not the same thing I suggested. Doing it that way is going to transcode the video and you asked how to pull the clip without transcoding it. The “Extract Sub-clip” method is how it’s done without transcoding.

1 Like

DRM,

Thanks again for your comments!!!

You are trying to help a Real Shotcut Beginner (especially concerning transcoding). I checked the wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcoding and it mentions “Transcoding is commonly a lossy process, introducing generation loss; however, transcoding can be lossless if the output is either losslessly compressed or uncompressed.” This is the reason I wanted to avoid it.

Question: If both clips are MP4 is the transcoding lossy or lossless?

Also has anyone posted how Shotcut handles transcoding?

Thanks again!!!

Ken

It always transcodes unless you use Extract Sub-clip

If both clips are MP4 is the transcoding lossy or lossless?

Yes, any export preset that is not lossless is lossy, and there is a lossless/H.264 preset that uses MP4 format. However, please be aware that lossless files are huge in size.

Hi shotcut,

Thanks for your transcoding clarifications!!!

Has anyone tested how much video loss occurs with each transcode? Am wondering when it becomes noticeable?

Ken

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.