How to integrate shotcut with Unity global menu and HUD?

wow, first of all, i wanna say, Shotcut is amazing, it’s incredible that despite the level of quality and very active development that it’s such a seldom heard of FLOSS video editor. maximum respect to all the developers and contributors.

my question is simple, i love having my apps menus neatly tucked into the Unity global menu, and to use Unity’s HUD, would love to know how to get Shotcut looking native on my Unity DE. google search has revealed nothing.

i’ve had this problem with audacity which i did a google search for and got it sorted and now looks and works great, and i have other qt apps (notably kdenlive) which look and work nice with Unity’s global menu, so it should be possible, and hopefully there’s an easy command line fix.

thanks to everyone helping out in the Shotcut community, this editor really rocks!

1 Like

This blog post provides a hint:
https://nsl.cz/enabling-global-menu-in-qt-creator-in-unity-ubuntu-14-04/

Our bundled version of Qt does not provide this as it is not a component of the official Qt project. Since I have Ubuntu 18.04, I do not have the appmenu-qt5 package to try this. Since the Unity desktop by has been discontinued by Ubuntu, it makes little sense for me to give this more time and energy. However, you might find the package and be able to put the library into Shotcut’s bundle and see if you can get it working for yourself.

thanks for your reply, so, all i need is to get the “appmenu-qt5” library and add it to where exactly?

i’m using the appimage, should i be using shotcut some other way to get that library into it?

i searched and downloaded appmenu-qt5 but it was packaged as a .deb which i tried to install and i got the message that a newer package already exists.

i searched the file system and found several files with appmenu-qt5 and tried to put them in similar folders in the portable version but not all of the same folders existed, and then i don’t know if there are dependencies needed. i’m guessing the portable version is the way to go if i want to accomplish this, since the appimage i can’t figure out how to open.

i really love to use the HUD when using programs where i need to change and use a lot of ‘commands’, most importantly, but the the neater look with the menus out the way would be nice too, for screen real estate on my small 11.5" laptop :slight_smile:

thanks for your help.

Yes, you can try to put the lib in Shotcut.app/lib/qt5/platformthemes/

thanks for your answer, according to the github page, the lib Depends on:

• libc6 (>= 2.14)
  • libdbusmenu-qt5
  • libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1)
  • libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.0)
  • libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0)
  • libqt5core5a (>= 5.5.0)
  • libqt5dbus5 (>= 5.0.2)
  • libqt5gui5 (>= 5.5.0)
  • libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2)
  • libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1)
  • libx11-6
  • qtbase-abi-5-5-1

will i need to get all of these and do they go into the same folder?

I’m searching for the same thing, no success until now… :confused:

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.