How to get high resolution stills from 4K Video

When I export a still image from a 4K video, the image is only around 588K. How do I get a 4MB and larger sized still?

Are you using File > Export > Frame from the main menu?

Yes, File>Export>Frame. I have also tried the stills option that creates a lot of copies in sequential numbers. No luck either way. I thought a still from a 4k video would be a high resolution image, at least 8MB or so.

What is the resolution (Video Mode) of your project?

I tested with a 4k video in a 4k project and the exported image (PNG format) was about 9MB

If I use the same 4k video in a 1080p project, the exported image is less than 2MB (1920x1080)
In a 720p project, the exported image is about 1.2MB (1280x720)

I was exporting as jpeg. Is PNG a better format? My project file is 4k with a 4k video. I will try PNG format.
Is that the BOA building in Atlanta?

Google search result:
The biggest advantage of PNG over JPEG is that the compression is lossless, meaning there is no loss in quality each time it is opened and saved again. PNG also handles detailed, high-contrast images well.

No idea. It’s a video downloaded from Pexels.com

Thanks, I’ll try saving as PNG.

I exported a frame to the JPG format (4K project).
Result: 912KB

Yes, and I just saved one as a PNG and over over 3MB. Starting the head in the right direction.

1 Like

Why does the filesize matter ?
The filesize depend on the number of pixels, the algorithm used to compress the data , the content of the frame
PNG is lossless, JPG is not, so JPG can compress to lower filesize, without you can see any difference, but it depend on what is in the frame and how good the quallity of the source footage

+1 what @TimLau said. The file size is immaterial. PNG is lossless, but it is compressed as well. A black screen will compress much smaller than a picture of a tropical island, for both JPEG and PNG, because the black screen is easier to encode.

1 Like

A UHD or 4k video image is only about 8 megapixels with sub-sampled chrominance, and depending on the camera you use, may have a low percentage of I frames and a lower shutter speed than used for sharp stills. So don’t expect too much.

But to answer your question, JPEG is a DCT based encoder - the file size required for a given quality setting depends on the amount of fine detail in the image.

If you really need a larger filesize for some reason you could convert the PNG to a (uncompressed) BMP.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.