How to get file time to show in clip?

Hello everyone!

I’m trying to get the file time of an underlying clip to show for a how-to video. The time in HH:MM:SS format will run while the clip plays. The Text: Simple filter already has a File date tab in the Insert field section. This tab adds a #localfiledate# tag in the Text box and the clip date shows over the clip, similarly for the Frame # tab. Is there any tag for File time which could be directly added between #s in the Text: Simple filter Text box? Or is there any other way to do this? I’m using Shotcut v. 20.09.27 on Windows10.

Thanks to the developers for this beautiful editor, and thanks in advance for your help.

The Text:Simple filter has a feature that allows you to specify a specific time format:

However, that timestamp is a file property and will not “count up” as the file plays. If you need it to count, then you could manually add a timer filter to overlay next to the file date and manually enter the start time for the timer.

2 Likes

Thanks. I realised that it would be static after posting. Overlaying the timer filter is what I’ll do. To show it speeded up I’ll reimport the clip and adjust the Speed through Properties. I missed the two useful links above when I searched. I was looking for those. But this has made me look closer at the Timer filter which is neat.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.