How to change duration of stills during a project?

It seems that Shotcut will retain the initial setting for duration of still images (under “properties”) - even if I try to change that setting later.
I have a project where I set the duration to 5 seconds. I now realize that is too short. I’ve tried to reset the duration to 10 seconds but Shotcut refused to apply the change. All images are still 5 seconds. There are over 100 images so trying to stretch each one (which so far hasn’t worked for me, either) is not practical.
How can I get Shotcut to accept a new duration setting for still images, without starting the entire project from scratch?

Is there a more appropriate thread to ask this question?

I don’t think this function is available yet. I’ve even edited the duration in the .mlt then re opened the project but Shotcut still retains the 4 second default. Entering a new value then pressing the [Set Default] button does nothing but blank out the properties windows and deselected the slide.
Everything I have tried seems to be ignored, if there’s a method of changing the duration of all slides that even I am missing then intuitive it is not.

I was testing this Duration function since I was working with slideshows recently. It appears that when the first photo is imported into the project you can change the duration and use Set Default to “set” it. All new photo imports from then on will have that default duration. You cannot change the default duration in the middle of a project - unfortunately. But you can set it initially. -=Ken=-

Doesn’t work at all like that here. (18.01.02 Win10 64bit 6-core AMD 16Gb RAM))
Setting the first image to anything other than the default shown just causes the properties window to go blank and the single image on the timeline to become deselected with no change to the default value.
Also, trying to add an image sequence just causes the timeline to empty. I’ve never had that work, but then I don’t use Shotcut for slideshows because I’ve never had any luck with it working intuitively.

Shotcut 18.01.02 Linux KDE Neon 5.12 64bit Ryzen 3 1200 16gb ram

OK, here is what I did:
1: NO photos in the Playlist
2: Import a photo
3: Select + in the Playlist to add to Playlist
4: Duration is whatever Shotcut had last time
5: Click photo in Playlist so it is highlighted
6: Select Properties tab
7: Edit Duration and click Set Default
8: Select + in Timeline to add photo to Timeline
You should find the Playhead sitting at the end of the newly added clip displaying the Duration set in step 7.
9: Click on Playlist you will find the Duration REMAINS AT THE OLD VALUE!
10: Import another photo
11: Click + in the Playlist to add it to the Playlist
The duration observed will be the new default.

-=Ken=-

Thanks for the step-by-step, that works, but isn’t intuitive in the slightest.
It’s a shame that multiple photos for slideshows choke Shotcut and forget time lapse, there are better applications for this.

I agree. Not intuitive and the original photo always displays the former value! But, it does work. I finished my recent slideshow in Kdenlive but have always liked the ability in Shotcut to create a cross-dissolve by pushing a clip on the right into a clip on the left (just like Vegas). If the slideshow is simple you can put one together faster in Shotcut than any other editor. -=Ken=-

I’ll have to disagree with that.
I have AVS Video Editor which is a simple few steps.

1. Set default image duration in options.
  2. Drag in the images directly to the timeline (they are automatically added to the project bin at the same time)
  3. Select a transition and choose ‘Apply transition to all’.

Done, there’s your slideshow.

Nice! Too bad it doesn’t work on Linux.

-=Ken=-

Kenj’s experience parallels mine.
I can set the duration of an image/group of images when I open it/them.
This duration will then prevail for the entire project and can’t be changed while the project is open.
I’ve also found that if I import and add an image that was previously opened with a different duration, that previous duration will be applied to that image (even though that makes it different from all other images in the project). I found this out the hard way.

Not to quibble - too much… I have been working with a small set of photos, six max, over and over again, with widely differing durations to make sure my observations were true, and I found the steps listed above to always apply.

-=Ken=-

You cannot! Imagine if you really only want to change duration for ONE image and doing so changed the duration of every image your project. Then, you would be complaining about the opposite.

Yes, this happens with images on the Timeline. I think it used to work, but some bug fix broke Properties for images on the Timeline. Some people think the Timeline is necessary for everything, but it is not.

This does not do what you think it does. Properties (and Filters) does not reflect selected playlist items! At this point in your steps, they are reflecting what is in the Source player. Playlist is not like Timeline where it reflects and affects a selected item. To affect a playlist item, you need to double-click it to open it in the Source player, make changes, and then click Update (checkmark button). Why? because you need to select a playlist item for some playlist operations (remove, or reorder) without affecting your work staged in the Source player. Also, because you could instead choose to Add your changes in Source to the playlist. Think of this in context of video or audio clips. This lets you make multiple sub-clips without having to relocate the file in Recent or file dialog/manager. As such, it acts like a media bin. (But remember, that is optional. Some people mistakenly think you need to add things to Playlist before the Timeline).

9: Click on Playlist you will find the Duration REMAINS AT THE OLD VALUE!

Of course, you did not update the playlist item. Default duration only affects newly opened photos.

Thank you, Dan. That helps a lot!

-=Ken=-

Fair enough, but I think it’s more intuitive to use the time line and of course necessary for a sequence of images that will have transitions applied. So it’s reasonable to assume that clip/image properties can be edited there.

OK, here is an actual procedure for slideshows. Is it right? -=Ken=-

This procedure will allow you to change the Duration of photos as you are building a slideshow.

1. Start with NO photos in the Playlist.
  2. Import a photo.
  3. Select + in the Playlist to add to Playlist - Duration is whatever Shotcut had last time.
  4. Double-click photo in Playlist so it is highlighted in the Source Player.
  5. Select Properties tab.
  6. Edit Duration and click Set Default.
  7. Select Playlist and click the checkmark (Update). Shotcut shows desired Duration.
  8. Select + in Timeline to add photo to Timeline. You should find the Playhead sitting at the end of the newly added clip displaying the Duration set in step 7.
  9. Import another photo - photo inherits previous Duration.
  10. If you want a different Duration then repeat steps 3 through 9. The Duration can be changed for each photo but the next photo will inherit the change and you may want to change it again.

Notes:

1. Easiest: simple slideshow with black background. Use cross-dissolve feature of Shotcut.

2. Note that some Dissolves may not look right because of differing size photos. Before continuing use Ctrl-Z to undo the Dissolve and use Fade Out Video, then Fade In Video - or simply use a cut.

3. Harder: use a pastel background to hide the black areas. Generate Color background graphic in another program or use Shotcut/Open Other/Generator/Color. Click the Color button and a Color Selector will pop up! Select your color and add it to the Playlist. Use Timeline Plus to add it to track V1. Then, add your photos on track V2.

4. In order to get transistions to work properly you will need to add the Alpha Channel:Adjust filter to each clip. Once again, not all tranistions will look right so be satisfied to remove the Dissolve. In some cases it may be necessary to place a photo on another track to have total control over the look of the dissolve.

5. Finally, add suitable audio to track A1.