How to add looping graphic / progress indicator / lap marker?

Greetings Shotcut Experts! I downloaded Shotcut about a week ago and have been having fun learning it to make some drumming practice videos.
In some sections of the video, we play the same phrase over and over, in a loop. During these parts, I’d like to show some kind of graphic to indicate that we are looping. It could be something like a progress indicator gif, or like a lap graphic on a treadmill, or even just a ball that spins - just something that indicates repetition.
Extra points if the loop graphic can be timed to match the loop in the video! :grinning:
(but if this turns out to be too hard, I can just put the text “LOOP” on the screen during the looping parts :wink: )
P.s. I almost gave up on Shotcut on day 2, because I noticed a slight lag between the audio and the video when previewing withing Shotcut. But I realized that the lag was gone when the video was rendered and exported, so I just ignore it now. If anyone can suggest how to stop it, that would be nice.
Thanks!
Kylie

Hi Kylie,
1/Put you graphic in the timeline.
2/ Go to left there are a few icons close the lock.( Diagonal stripes appear to let you know which tracks are locked.
3/ Press the three horizontal stripes that are on left . This lets you add a track.
4/ Bring down a new Audio track
5/ place your marker at start of graphic on video trace.
6/ bring down your looping track to the new Audio track.
7/ Go back to video track. unlock the lock.
8/ extend you graphic track to match your audio track ,by putting your cursor on the right edge and holding down your left mouse key.
Regards
Pete

1 Like

There are plenty of countdown video clips on this site: https://pixabay.com/videos/search/countdown/
You could download one and use the “size and position” filter to reduce its size and have it as a “picture in picture” element, say at the top-right/bottom-left of your video during the time(s) you have repetition.

1 Like

Perhaps this suits your requirements:

You can match the bar exactly to the clip.
To loop the bar, you could just copy the clip that represents the progress bar as many times as needed.
You could also use an image editing software like GIMP to create a rectangle outline with a transparent background. Export it as a PNG and insert it into a higher track. Now, you fit the bar into the outline. This represents the whole duration of the clip. I can provide detailed instructions if you need them.

Thanks! I’m not really counting, more like, circling forever until called to do something else, but I found a circling kinda video on pixaby that might work (https://pixabay.com/videos/circle-lights-abstract-4873/ ) and I got the idea.

Thanks @samth! This could work. I like that it can be “stretched” to match the loop length, and you’re right - I could then just copy it for as many repetitions as I play in the video.

1 Like

Another option would be to use an animated “loading” GIF such as the one here: https://giphy.com/gifs/mashable-3oEjI6SIIHBdRxXI40
and repeat it as often as needed.

Yes! That’s what I ended up doing. Being such a newbie, I didn’t realize I could simply import a GIF and position it on its own track on the timeline, repeated as necessary. Thanks for the reply.

No problem, glad to have pointed you in the direction of a solution. If you have any more queries just post them on the forum, the people here are very helpful and you often pick up some good tips on the way that improve your video editing capabilities.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.