How is double scaling working?

My project has a resolution 1280x720.
If I want to insert a 3840 x 2160 footage clip, ShortCut will reduce the resolution by 3. OK so far.
But what happens if I want to have only a section of the footage inserted in 3 x size?
Will ShotCut reduce the resolution by 3 and then make it 3 times bigger?
Or is ShotCut clever enough to leave the resolution simply as it is?

Can you clarify this question? What does it mean to have footage inserted in 3x size?

Shotcut will always scale your source clip to the project resolution. For some filters that perform scaling (Crop, Size/Position/Rotate), Shotcut is clever enough to realize that you are going to scale the image and will operate on the original source resolution. Maybe that is what you are asking?

2 Likes

For the SPR filter, Shotcut will scale the original image to the final size needed. The final image will not be blurry, because the process is not 3x downscaled then 3x upscaled in your example.

@brian said the same thing… I’m just providing a direct answer to your question.

Here’s another thread asking the same question, which has lots of details you will probably find useful…

1 Like

Shotcut is clever enough to realize that you are going to scale the image and will operate on the original source resolution. Maybe that is what you are asking?

Yes, eaxctly. Thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.