How do I add a white border above a video without having to shrink the video

You’ll see this a lot with memes, where it’ll be a gif playing, and there’s a white border above it with text.

I know there are programs to streamline and automate the process, but I’m still interested in learning how to do it manually. How do I do this?

In an image editor, if the image is 256x256, you simply create a new image that’s 256x512, shift the image to the bottom, and add the text at the top

The closest I can get to this in shotcut is to add the text/border at the top, and then shrink the video until it fits in the bottom, but this creates the problem of the video being smaller. Ideally, I’d like to just be able to add some space above the video so the video remains at 256x256, and there’s another 256 pixels above it that I can use for text.

Open SC: set the video mode with the size of your final video to your liking (e.g. 256x512, although this is not a standard or preferable video size), add a video track to the timeline, fill it with white, add another video track on top of the other and import your video in 256x256 and move this to the buttom using the filter ‘size&position’. Easy as that :wink:

Thank you so much, appreciate the help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.