For what is that useless empty space in the interface?

For what is that empty space under the tracks (see image)? I tried making the tracks smaller but then previews on starts and ends of videos disappear. I suggest that useless space should be removed. Now it is not convenient to edit several tracks with small-resolution monitor like 1440x900.

Sorry for my english.

The thumbnails only disappear when the tracks are at the smallest height.

Use Mouse wheel + Shift to set the height of the tracks. You will have a biger choice of sizes.

QxmpRzYwIe

Thanks. It gives more variants of track height. But thumbnails still take up only half of available space. It looks impractical for me.

I personally don’t see this as a problem since I very rarely use the thumbnails. Also, that space at the bottom is used to display the audio waveform. So I’m afraid there isn’t much hope for you to ever see the thumbnails fill the entire height of the clip.
ZYLwarySz9

1 Like

Thumbnails help me recognize what video or image is there. But waveform is not very helpful for me. Maybe there should be an option to hide it. But it’s only a suggestion. And since you told me how to make tracks slightly smaller it’s not so painful for me.

1 Like

I found there is an option to remove waveform. But it doesn’t remove that space.

Rather than changing the size of the tracks, I think you are wanting to adjust the size of the window pane in which the tracks reside. See the clip below for how to adjust that:

adjust-ui

There does seem to be a minimum height that you can set, but probably you can get it closer to what you are wanting.

Note that you can also un-dock this window pane and make it floating, or move it around to other places on the screen, or so on. In other words, the UI is quite flexible / customizable. If you haven’t tried out the various layouts, go to View->Layout and try some out. Or adjust the UI to your liking and save (View->Layout->Add…) it as a saved layout. Some of the other settings under the View menu will also affect the UI (e.g., View->Show Titlebars).

2 Likes

Oh my God. I have been trying for an entire year to figure this out, and it was right there all along. Seriously, I have searched for this many times and could never get anything other than adding or removing tracks or changing track height. This above all was driving me mad. I think the reason I never saw this onscreen was that I have been using dark mode and never noticed that little blue line until switched it to system. Wow, just today between you and Musical Box, I have solved some problems that almost had me ready to quit. Thanks again!

I’m so glad that helped! That is definitely something I had had not seen at first, and struggled with. Once you know it is there, it is easy, but if you don’t know, that little line is hard to spot. Note that the same adjustment is available for other windows as well, e.g., between the playlist / filters / etc. area on the left and the viewing pane in the middle.

Recent versions make the divider a little bigger to grab and shows a color highlight when the mouse is over it. Now it is much easier to discover, find, and use.

1 Like

Thanks for that heads up! I confess that I have been behind on upgrading, as I have not had a chance to do any video editing for the past several months. Just upgraded to 24.02.29 - a nice touch, and I look forward to discovering all of the other improvements as well. Thanks for your continued work on this excellent software!