Filter applied to a section of a clip bleeds through into transition

Discovered this by accident while editing a project.

On video track 2 I applied a transition between two clips. Then split the first clip and applied a text filter to it. When track 2 is played the text bleeds thru into the transition.

On video track 1 I split the first clip and applied a text filter to it. Then applied a transition between the clips. When track 1 is played the text does not bleed thru into the transition.

Seems that if the transition is applied before the filter there’s some sort of bug that causes the bleed thru.

Video track 2

Video track 1

Actually, if a split is placed at the beginning of any clip where the transition has been applied before the split, the filter’s effect will bleed thru into the transition.

https://streamable.com/5hgw7

SC 17.10
Win 10 64 Pro.

No response in 28 days. This thread needs to be closed.

Many bug reports are not acted upon immediately. No one is accountable for addressing bugs. However, that does not mean someone some day in the next year or so will not look into this forum category for bugs to work on.

Wasn’t expecting an immediate fix. Just thought someone might try to replicate my discovery to see if it is a bug. It might be something wrong with my system and not the software.

I could not reproduce most of what you are describing in v17.11. You might have been affected by this bug that was fixed in that version:

Also, multiple times you wrote “split the first clip and applied a text filter to it” without explaining exactly which half “it” is. When you split a clip there are now 2 clips that are distinct and can have separate filters. I chose the second half that would be involved in the transition.
However, you are correct in noticing that there is a difference in behavior between applying filters before or after making a transition.

Actually, I believe most people expect the filters applied to a clip involved in a transition should also be applied during the transition, and that is the direction I am going in to address this bug - the opposite of what you said above.

Dan,

Apologies for not explaining in detail exactly what I did.

Using Shotcut 17.11.07. OS is Windows 10 Pro 64.

Here’s what I did today and got the same result that I got last time.

Added two clips to the timeline. Overlapped them for a dissolve.

Moved the play-head to the beginning of the timeline. Then moved the play-head ahead 3 secs. and split clip one. Then I applied an invert color filter and a text filter to the first part of clip one.

Now when I play the entire sequence the filters applied to the first section of clip one show up in the transition. This is the video.

https://streamable.com/2i4f2

Then I added the same two clips to another timeline. Moved the play-head to the beginning of the timeline then moved it ahead 3 secs. and split clip one. Then applied the same filters to the first part of clip one.

Next I added the transition between clip one and two.

Now when I play the entire sequence the filters applied to the first section of clip one do not show up in the transition. This is the video.

https://streamable.com/l4xey

Hope this helps you to reproduce my result.

This issue has been fixed in Shotcut 17.12.03.:smile::+1:

This thread may be closed.

I was about to come here and let you know. I am glad you eagerly checked and noticed.