"Failed with exit code -1073741819" with Constrained VBR and dual pass

Hello guys! I am running into a problem when exporting videos using the Constrained VBR option in the Rate control parameter of the Codec tab, in the advanced exporting options, with dual pass activated. I have exported some videos earlier using Constant bitrate and dual pass activated with no issues. However, now I want to optimize those videos for Instagram Reels, so I changed the bitrate control method to Constrained VBR, but it crashes showing the message “Failed with exit code -1073741819” at the start of the second encoding job, just after successfully completing the first encoding job of the dual pass.

When I uncheck the dual pass option the file is successfully exported, so it is not a major issue for me, but I really would like to know why it is crashing when the dual pass option is active, as it would be good to be able to leverage that option with Constrained VBR in order to maximize quality and minimize file size without affecting the recommended settings for Instagram Reels.

Here you can see the job log of the second encoding job (the one that crashes at its start):
job-log-1073741819.txt (2.0 KB)

The next are the export settings that produce the failure:
movflags=+faststart

preset=fast
vminrate=4M
f=mp4
acodec=aac
channels=1
ar=48000
ab=128k
vbr=off
vcodec=libx264
crf=23
vmaxrate=8M
vbufsize=12288000
g=15
bf=2
sc_threshold=0
width=1080
height=1920
aspect=0.5625
progressive=1
top_field_first=2
deinterlacer=bwdif
rescale=hyper
frame_rate_num=30000000
frame_rate_den=1000000
threads=0
pass=1

Here is what I have tried after reading other post related to the same exit code:

• Disable (and even uninstall) antivirus software.
  • Check my memory usage and reboot the computer (the memory is ok).

The only thing that worked was unchecking dual pass, but, as I told you, I would actually like to use dual pass.

Thank you in advance for any insight you can give me on that! Have a good day!

The log says:

[libx264 @ 000002518d4ce080] CRF/CQP is incompatible with 2pass.

So, if you really want to use dual pass with constrained VBR, you need to cook your own constrained VBR (there is more than one way to do it) by choosing ABR and setting vmaxrate and/or vbufsize

1 Like

Thank you so much! It worked.