Failed to open any project... no more info nor context

I have a series of projects files, that I used less than a month ago to export videos.
I opened on by mistake: it opens.
I try to open the one I need to work on: “failed to open …”
I try the same on backup disk: same message.
Then NO files anymore open, including the first one.
No “verbose” mode, so I can’t give you more info, except it’s last version shotcut, from both archlinux repository and the .app from your website.
Please, don’t pull a KDEnlive on me…

Given some files open from the GUI but will fail through command lines, I know for sure it’s not a matter of file corruption.

Project files (.mlt) are XML files and as such can be opened in any text editor. You could open one of the “bad” ones in such an editor and see if the text looks reasonable. If it does, you could post it on the forum to see if someone can see a problem.

You could also run it through the MLT file analyzer I created here: Resources for Shotcut

I saw nothing wrong.
Log: Log - Google Docs
Two project files: CORRECTION_VIDEO_INSTINCTO.mlt - Google Drive, PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSION.mlt - Google Drive

From the log:

mengele@DasReich ~> shotcut Vidéos_Travail/projet_article_inc
este/PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSION.mlt

Try also starting shotcut and then opening the project just in case it makes a difference.

[Info ] Application::Application Starting Shotcut version ARCH-21.10.31

Not supported here.

[Debug ] MainWindow::open “Vidéos_Travail/projet_article_inceste/PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSION.mlt”

It is opening a project you attached here.

[Debug ] ProxyManager::GoProProxyFilePath “/home/mengele/Vidéos_Travail/projet_article_inceste/soundtracks/sans_vidéo/GLB transition.LRV”

It is in proxy mode. You can disable proxy mode to see if it makes a difference.

[Debug ] MltXmlChecker::check end “Contenu superflu à la fin du document.”

That translates to “Extra content at the end of the document.” That is bad.

Looking at the XML:

</tractor>
</mlt>

<property name="sum">1</property>
    </transition>
    <transition id="transition124">
      <property name="a_track">1</property>
      <property name="b_track">3</property>
      <property name="version">0.9</property>
      <property name="mlt_service">frei0r.cairoblend</property>
      <property name="threads">0</property>
      <property name="disable">0</property>
      <property name="1">screen</property>
    </transition>
    <transition id="transition125">
      <property name="a_track">0</property>
      <property name="b_track">4</property>
      <property name="mlt_service">mix</property>
      <property name="always_active">1</property>
    </transition>
    <transition id="transition106">
      <property name="a_track">0</property>
      <property name="b_track">5</property>
      <property name="mlt_service">mix</property>
      <property name="always_active">1</property>
    </transition>
    <transition id="transition107">
      <property name="a_track">1</property>
      <property name="b_track">5</property>
      <property name="version">0.9</property>
      <property name="mlt_service">frei0r.cairoblend</property>
      <property name="threads">0</property>
      <property name="disable">0</property>
    </transition>
  </tractor>
</mlt>

If you know anything about XML you know this is wrong. When Shotcut saves XML, it first writes to a temporary file and checks the XML of what it wrote is correct XML (well-formed) before moving/renaming it to the specified file name. This is specifically to prevent saving invalid XML like shown here. If there is a bug to fix I do not know what it is or how. It is possible something else caused a problem.

You can edit the XML in a text editor to fix that by removing everything after the first </mlt>. You can use the xmllint utility to check it for basic well-formedness outside of Shotcut if you want.

PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSION - fixed.mlt (292.3 KB)

CORRECTION_VIDEO_INSTINCTO.mlt loads for me OK.

I tried with Shotcut 21.12.21, the last .app executable.
I commented out the few lines “transition” end markers, so that it includes the next “sum” block, as all others do.
xmllint --noout PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSIONÉÉÉÉ.mlt shows nothing.
If I open shotcut THEN the project it works. Thanks, a heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders.
The problem surely came from using shotcut, as it’s systematic. I assume the same thing happened with a bunch of files. It’s not necessarily a bug of what you wrote, but a bug at leas around shotcut.

Also there’s still the fact I can’t open through the comand line.

Btw: I’m 28, mixedbreed, NOT a nazi. It’s humor, edginess. I precise in case some get “offended”… A linux forum just kicked me out for leaving that prompt in a post. Seriously…
I’m sure with “Stalin@The_Soviets” none would have got triggered.

When did you change from using the Arch version to an official version? If corruption happened while using the Arch version, all bets are off. Don’t use the Arch version.

Oh…
Fair point !
Understood !

ddennedy@Gamerbox-9400:~$ xmllint --noout '/home/ddennedy/Downloads/PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSION.mlt' 
/home/ddennedy/Downloads/PARTI1_DERNIÈRE_VERSION.mlt:5817: parser error : Extra content at the end of the document
      ^

Also there’s still the fact I can’t open through the comand line.

You need to specify the full path.

I did specify the path. There’s a bug here that that appeared out of nowhere, since I used to open like that. Maybe a new version…

But I may have found the cause of the first problem. Probably.
Rsync. I used to use --append, not knowing how it works. The trailing text on those files might be explained: shorter file on destination, adding the difference !!
I’m surprised it didn’t completely destroy my work, my goodness… This kind of unexpected, weird problem add up the more time I work on computers. Except I only manage to loose time, no erase my work on a weekly basis. Which uses to be the time.
I’ll get white hairs before age !
Thanks for your help. It’s enjoyable to get to know how our tools work, xml & co.
I would like to work some more for Shotcut, though I can’t program… and it wouldn’t be in the same language anyway. Is there a way to run it differently, a sandbox or whatever, to see exactly what happens when it bugs or freezes, as it does often ?