Dragging from the playlist to the timeline sometimes impossible

What is your operating system?
lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 20.10
Release: 20.10
Codename: groovy

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?
No.

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
I have encountered this problem many times. Suddenly, I can’t drag anything from the playlist to the timeline. An icon appears that shows that dropping an item there is impossible. Giving instructions to repeat the problem is hardly possible. Maybe the application log can be useful. Please also see my corresponding video.log.txt (651.3 KB)

This is a known issue that has typically been traced to the Qt Framework, which is outside of Shotcut’s control. Qt is the cross-platform UI library, and is provided by a totally separate company. See:

However, even when drag-and-drop quits working, keyboard shortcuts for append and overwrite still work. I realize that will not be satisfactory.

If you are able to find exact steps to reproduce, then debugging might be possible. Until then, it’s really difficult to know what to do about it. Qt is maintained by a separate group of developers.

It is not due to Qt. It is due to doing something that affects the UI in response something initiated on the UI. Solutions have involved converting more actions into asynchronously triggered actions. The more things become asynchronous and reactive, the more things can be difficult to understand at times. It is simply coincidentally related to the usage of Qt. I have not experienced this one.

1 Like

Understatement of the month.

1 Like

Today, it happened again.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.