Crop source vs. Crop rectangle

New Shotcut user. What is the difference between these two crop filters?

Is there documentation somewhere? I found these two pages but they’re blank?

Also, adding (not applying) any of these filters is very slow (>5s). The clip I have open is a 4GB AVI.

I’d like to know as well.
I need to get rid of black blocks to the left and right of the actual image.
I tried it both with crop:rectangle and crop:source and it didn’t crop.

Image not to aspect ratio as video mode.
2020-05-06_12-14-18
Using Crop: Source

Using Custom Video Mode
If you’re just using the same size image/video for the whole video, set a custom video mode. This will no produce black bars. You can set a custom video mode in Settings - Video Mode - Custom.
shotcut_2020-05-06_12-18-25
No need to crop.

Not sure what your project is. Just trying to give you an extra option.

2 Likes

So cropping in this context simply “blacks out” the parts of the image beyond the crop box and doesn’t change the resolution of the actual video?
I have a 1920x1080 (16:9) video that needs to be 1350x1080 (5:4). How do I do that?

2 Likes

Cropping never does change the actual Video Mode resolution, it only adjusts the current media to conformx (or not conform) to the Video Mode. Leaving export settings at default, the Video Mode defines your final exported video.

Set your custom Video Mode
shotcut_2020-05-07_03-54-51
Open your 1080 video. It will look like this.
shotcut_2020-05-07_04-00-27
Apply the Crop: Source filter. This time I used Center bias.

1 Like

I feel crop:rectangle and crop:circle has more options then crop:source

See also recent thread

Thanks.
I need to get my head around that. I come from photography where cropping meant … actually it can mean a whole slate of things.
But in digital photo editing it means take out bits of the image AND change the resolution accordingly.

1 Like

Hi - sorry to be dense, but I don’t seem to be able to properly crop a video. If possible would someone please provide more detailed instructions on how to accomplish this. I’ve chosen crop:source, but frankly I’m not sure how to use this widget - I need to cut off the black bands at the top and bottom of the video. But even if I choose arbitrary numbers for top and bottom, when I choose video mode>Automatic, it doesn’t seem to change the export dimensions. Any help would be appreciated.

There are several ways to do this. A simple way is:

• Open your video.
  • Select the filter “Rotate and Scale”.
  • Increase the scale parameter until you have no black lines.
  • Export the video.

Thanks for the reply Elusien - this works, but it cuts off detail at each side of the frame. I’m hoping to retain the full frame.

r.

1 Like

In that case your project resolution width x height has to be the same as your video’s width x height, (or rather the ratio width:height must match) otherwise you will always get black bands at either the top and bottom or at the sides.

That worked - thanks. I was obviously following directions to solve a different problem. Choosing video mode>automatic gave me a file of the original size and also included the black bands. Setting the export video size and setting the crop source (center) took the center of the video at that resolution which was exactly what I wanted. Thanks.

If I can press my luck and ask another question - how does crop-rectangle work. I can drag the bands to match the section of the video I want, but even if I sent the output size correctly, there appears to be no difference - nothing is cropped.

Thanks for you help.
r.

What the Crop-Rectangle filter does is keep everything that is within the rectangle as it is and anything outside the rectangle is set to the “padding color” (which can also contain an alpha-channel (transparency)). It does nothing to the resolution of your video.

It is not like the “crop” tool of most image editors which cuts everything outside the rectabngle and makes the image resolution equal to the rectangle dimensions.

2 Likes

Thank you - I kept wondering why I couldn’t get it to “crop” the video. Okay, I think I’ve got all my cropping questions out of the way. Thanks for all your help.

r.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.