Creating lower third graphics with WebVfx

Ah, OK, useful to know - thanks!!

Older versions of SC, and possibly latest one too, does not like animated gifs.

It could also be the issue of converting to edit friendly fails if there is no audio, which animated gifs don’t have.
This was certainly an issue in the past, not sure if Dan fixed it in later releases.

The audio is not an issue. It’s been fixed and works fine. The problem was the video that was created was 8 frames. Tried to copy it a dozen times and keyed out the white background. It was messy. It looked crappy.

HTML works better for this type of animation.

Of course, this is made easier now we have the ability to overlay HTML on transparent clips (from v19.06) . I can see lots of creative possibilities for users wanting to overlay animated GIFS (eg. “subscribe” banners, arrows etc…) on their videos.

Thank you @shotcut for giving us this feature :+1::+1:.

Here are two more things one can do:

First one, grab directly from Youtube and insert in an iframe.
Please note that there are a few “gotchas”:

1. Autoplaying videos will not work unless they are muted - see html code.

2. The speed of play is slightly wonky at times, can be fixed later in SC.

3. Not all Youtube streams can be played, especially the live streams. May have something to do with the UserAgent string that is being reported to Youtube and other sites.

Comparison of UserAgent strings:

It would be really great if one could “modify” the reported UserAgent.

It should also be noted that some sites will not work because of the cross-domain iframe thing.

Here is an example of getting something directly from Youtube:
(BTW some streaming cameras also work)

Second thing that can be done is getting a website and making it scroll automatically.
Again, some websites will not load.
Below an example.
Scroll speed, positioning and other parameters can be modified in the html code.
Note the strobing effect, this is normal for anything that has loads of text and scrolling.

A website with less text and more pics will look better.

The files:

Animation-iFrame.zip (1.1 KB)

One last thing, these methods grab video and webpages directly from the net.
Make sure you have a good, fast connection or there will be considerable delay and the
animation will not be what you expected.

Of course there is nothing stopping the use of locally stored/created webpages and videos being used instead.

1 Like

Really interesting, @paul2. I’d never thought this was possible. An eye-opener.

I captured my screen before to be able to display a whole page but with this I can circumvent this additional step. Thanks for posting this :smile:!

You’re very welcome.
Hope this gives others some ideas and inspiration to try new things, even if they are a bit unconventional.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.