Converting to edit friendly video options and differences

Thanks for another detailed and informative response. I’ve learned a lot the past couple of days and will check out that preset you were talking about. I had 12 source videos so I ended up just doing it manually through the convert prompt but it would be good to know if I could do a batch. I did test with Shutter encoder and got a result almost identical to what the conversion tool gives but why use third party if I don’t have to. H.264 i-frame only sounds like it would be more than enough for me. I won’t be doing any color correction(not even sure if it would be feasible with a phone camera source but I’m also colorblind lol) and going to be counting on the video being recorded in the best scenario possible.

One question I did have was whether there are pros and cons of switching my phone to H.265? If there are no cons when it comes time to make edit friendly then the space saving along might be worth it as I can get more video in one shot and take less time to transfer it to my pc. I’ve been talking to some other beginners who claim that they use H.265 and edit without converting.

Side note, source code on this crazy, I have a CS background but am an aerospace engineer who primarily works on embedded systems so my skills are more than rusty. Been thinking of picking up an open source project and might look into this.

I do have a high end PC btw, I mentioned earlier but ryzen 5900x, 32gb ddr4 3600 ram, gen 4 nvme ssd. I didn’t get the 5950x because once new 3d chips come out next month I’ll upgrade to that versions 16 core. That should boost my conversion times lol.

Não sei se é permitido, mas já tentou converter vários arquivos com outro programa mais leve e rápido? Não que o SHOTCUT não faça isso, acho que ffaz, mas quando tenho que converter vários videos uso o FORMAT FACTORY, não sei se te ajuda.

If the phone video is converted to edit-friendly, then it is all pros and no cons.

If the phone video is not converted, then editing on H.265 will have slower playback and seek performance compared to H.264. If your friends are editing on H.265 directly, then they may be using hardware decoding or something like that. Or they can throw the entire CPU at decoding because the effects are all processed in GPU, neither of which Shotcut does. I’m assuming they are not using Shotcut?

He said that he used to but that he is using Davinci Resolve now. But he also says that he edits the camera footage without transcoding it to CFR so I’m not sure what to think. I know he is using a phone camera and I thought all phones recorded in VFR.

It can be done, but “Your Mileage May Vary” especially when it comes to frame-level accuracy. If your timeline has cuts that need to be frame-accurate, it is best to conform (convert) all phone footage.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.