V20.10.31 no longer allows you to drag and drop many files at once into the timeline from Windows File Explorer

What is your operating system?

Window 10 Pro x64 version 2004 build 19041.388 Feature Experience Pack 120.2202.130.0
Asus ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming, i7-9700k, 32GB ram, Asus DirectCU II R290

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Shotcut version 20.10.31 x64

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

This was working in the previous version but no longer works in the current version.

Select multiple files n the Windows File Explorer - Ctrl-A works just fine.
Drag them to the Timeline. Shotcut only adds which ever file had focus under the mouse cursor when you grabbed the files to drag over.
DO NOT hold the shift key for a move, as Shotcut will allow the OS to remove the original files.

An unfortunate regression. The nightly builds fix it. More info here from a previous report:

As noted, the issue with dropping multiple files is fixed.

I am sorry but I do not know why that happens. Very strange. We do not have the code directly in our code base that moves or deletes the files. I do reproduce it in this new version only, and maybe it is in the library upgrade or some new API option we must set to prevent this. I am searching for more information about this but not finding anything yet.

Update: this issue with drag-with-move files from Explorer to Shotcut does not reproduce for me on Linux or macOS, only Windows where it also affects dropping to Playlist (when holding shift).
Also, I do not reproduce the problem when dragging from a different file manager such as Directory Opus or Q-Dir (tested both).

That is strange only in Windows and only with File Explorer

I almost had a heart attack when I lost 99 files . . . thankfully the NAS they live on had the Recycle Bin enabled or there would have been a lot of upset football parents . . . LOL

I found the easy way to recover from this is by clicking Undo in Explorer.

I tried Undo / Ctrl-Z . . . and it didn’t work. This is a mapped network drive using different credentials on a FreeNAS device.

Shift + Drag/Drop is Moving files in Windows.

As you dragged from from one folder with no destination folder, Windows puts the files in the following locations:
(Windows 10 Home)
C:\Users\user\Recent
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent Items

I’m able to replicate the same bug.
Just thought I would add the locations of the files where they end up.
No NAS system on my computer.

I’m able to Shift + Drag/Drop into Gimp and the file stays in the orginal folder.

1 Like

This location does not exist on my version of Win 10 (see version above)

On my version of Win 10 (see version above) this location is mostly shortcuts . . . and some folders.

I verified that the files were in there!

Thank you for verifying the bug,

I do know that shift is move . . . I was half asleep and frustrated that I couldn’t move all my files at once . . . just wasn’t paying attention and was not thinking that they would actually move out of the original directory as the destination wasn’t a directory.

I wonder why ctrl-z didn’t undo?

1 Like

On my version of Windows 10 CTRL+Z works.

Windows 10 Home
1909 18363.1139

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.