Choppy Video/Audio on Shotcut 18.01.02

Hello,
I am new to Shotcut and video editing, so perhaps am missing something simple… but when I open a video in Shotcut, it is extremely choppy. This same video plays fine in Windows Media Player. I am using an older work computer with Windows 7, 64-bit, 8 GB of RAM, Intel Core i5-2500 processor, 3.30 GHz… any suggestions of how to get this to play smoothly in Shotcut? (Perhaps using an earlier version?) Or if not, a different basic editing program that might run more smoothly with my system? I work for a nonprofit on a shoestring budget, so unfortunately we don’t have much of a technology budget… any help much appreciated. Thank you!
Tyson

I’m having this same issue and it seem to crash quite a bit. I think it looks like a great program, but if I can’t edit videos without if being choppy then it’s not going to work very well. I also just got a new computer last week, Windows 10, 8 GB of RAM Intel Corek i5-8250U 1.60 GHz, 64 bit

There are two things you can try that might give a better understanding of what causes the choppy playback:

1. Try changing “Settings->Display Method”. In Windows, there are two options: OpenGL and DirectX. Try one, play a file, try the other. Does one work better than the other?

2. Try files from a different source. If you are trying to edit files from your camera, try to get some files from a different camera. Or download some from the internet. Do different files play smoother?