Changing the duration of a clip overwrites following clip

What is your operating system?
Mac 12.2.1

What is your Shotcut version (see Help > About Shotcut)? Is it 32-bit?

Can you repeat the problem? If so, what are the steps?
(Please be specific and use the names as seen in Shotcut, preferably English. Include a screenshot or screen recording if you can. Also, you can attach logs from either View > Application Log or right-click a job and choose View Log.)

Yes. I have a short clip that I put two splits into in order to make it three separate clips. I then change the speed of the middle clip which causes its duration to increase and it wipes out (overwrites) the third clip. If the third clip were longer, it would simply overwrite a portion of it.
I do have a screen capture, the txt is from the application log (tail -f).

I do have a screen capture video of it, but the size is 5MB and the upload limit here is 4MB.
See here: https://youtu.be/7UdoES6ptrE

1 Like

No screen recording or log required. This is a well known behavior. What do you want it do if ripple mode is turned off? It should trim itself to fill blanks but not overwrite?

I have ripple mode on, or at least I thought that I did. I have toggled Ripple, Ripple all tracks, Ripple markers, all on. So, in this case I expect it to just push everything down the timeline. I’ll admit to being somewhat new to shotcut and perhaps I’m missing something here.

Ripple doesn’t work when changing the speed of a clip.

I show one possible workaround in this discussion:

1 Like

@MusicalBox that’s the most logical thing to do :smiley:

1 Like

I have a workaround myself, which is to manually move the later clip into the future at some point where I’m pretty sure it won’t be overwritten, change the speed of the previous clip, then manually move the later clip back to snap it in place.

That all works and make no mistake, I am very glad to be able to do it, but the existing behavior should still be considered a bug should it not? I mean, ripple is supposed to do all this automatically right?

Your bug report was tagged as Accepted
Cj2L9X0NHa

This means the problem will most likely be fixed in the next version.

I’d like to also vote for this behaviour change, clip speed change interacting with ripple would be a big improvement.
With ripple on I expect any change in subclip length would push/pull the following clips (basically simulating Cut + [change length] + Insert), with ripple off the current behaviour is ok (aka Lift + [change length] + Overwrite).

Accepted only means it was reproduced and is considered as a valid bug. There is no ETA for it.

This is fixed for the next version 22.03

1 Like